COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE


Tacos, everyone loves tacos.  I mean why else do we have Taco Tuesdays?  Well, that is exactly what we had last night for dinner.  Tacos!!!  After fixing them I realized I was out of this wonderful sauce.  I normally keep a few jars canned in the basement but I used the last jar a few weeks back.  

Needless to say, I needed to make more since I had the tacos already cooking.  I am so glad it is very easy to make.  Quick and simple.  I will admit though it is better if you let it sit a few days I did but not have the time for that last night.  After all, it was Taco Tuesday in the Cristina's household.


Gather your spices together. 


Measure out each into a small mixing bowl.


Mix it all together.


Add tomato sauce and apple cider vinegar.


Mix together.


Here is a secret ingredient that I add to make it taste yummy.  Lemon pepper seasoning.  It takes the level up a bit and makes it taste so much more like Ortega.  

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

Ingredients
  • 16-ounce jar of tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or red hatch pepper powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne 
  • 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning 

Directions

  • Combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and lemon pepper seasoning.  Mix well in a small bowl.
  • Add tomato sauce into the bowl with the seasonings and blend well.
  • Pour 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into the mixture.
  • Store in the fridge.  Will keep a couple of months.  
I sometimes can this.  If you decide to can this recipe, I suggest that you double or triple it.  As is, the recipe will make 1 pint or 2 half pints.  You will need to sterilize your jars.  Prepare your water bath canner.  Pour sauce into sterilized jars.  Add lids and rings to finger tight.  Put each jar into your canner and water bath for 10 minutes for half pints and 15 for pints.  

The great thing about making your own taco sauce is you can control what is in it.  There are no harmful preservatives in this recipe.  I use my own canned tomato sauce and almost all of my seasonings are things I have dried or made.

Here are some tacos I had for lunch that I put some of my homemade sauce on.


ENJOY!!

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this recipe. So goid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I made the sauce with canned tomatoes from the store. The sauce is pretty thick. Can I add water or possbily put it in a food processor to thin it out?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS