ApplePalooza ~ Indian Apple Chutney







I was gifted about 80 pounds of apples last Sunday.  Yeah, I am lucky.  Boy, was I doing the happy dance all over the place but then reality kicked in.  OH, MY!!!!  What am I going to do with all these awesome darn apples?  

First, I had to do an inventory of what I had left in my canning stock that was apple related.  I did not get apples last fall, well I did but I could not can them.  They were awful.  I guess this is God saying here since you did not get any last fall I am blessing you.  In my inventory, I found that my apple butter was a bit low.  So, of course, I used 10 lbs to make apple butter right away.  BUT what else can I do with all these apples?  I had granny smith and golden and red delicious to work with.

One of the recipes I kept seeing was Indian Apple Chutney. I mean seriously ever search I made came back with at least one recipe for the stuff.  I looked at the recipes and thought, would we like this?  Would my friends like this?  I really was not sure but heck I had all those apples and this would use 16 cups.  HAHA that is only like 5 lbs of apples.  Most of the recipes called for a high amount of raisins, 7 cups to be exact.  I realize that the raisins was somewhat for acidity but really 7 freakin cups or raisins?  Again, I kept looking at other recipes but again the Indian Apple Chutney kept rearing its head.  Finally, I found just a plain apple chutney that called or 12 ounces of raisins.  The only difference in it as the other was the curry powder.  Plus this was on an approved site so I knew it was safe.  Since curry was only for seasoning it was safe to add and it would still be a safe recipe.  

I have to say as I worked on this recipe today I was overwhelmed with the aroma in my house.  Not just my kitchen but my entire house.  It is a bit hard to explain the scent but it was hearty smelling not sweet.  I really wish at times I could just bottle the aroma in my house as I cook and/or can.  I bet I could make a million on that alone.  

The recipe was a bit long, lots of ingredients but besides the raisins, I was pretty good to go.  Raisins are pretty expensive and I have never really been a huge fan of them, which was another reason I was not sure about making this recipe.  I like to be frugal and spending $10 on something for a new recipe was difficult for me.  Thank goodness I found the recipe that called for less than a pound, 12-ounce verses 2 lbs.  



I used a mix of granny smith and red delicious due to the fact the red delicious were already going bad and needed to be worked pretty quickly.  I have some in my dehydrator as I type.  You need to wash, core and chop them up pretty well.  You also need to chop one cup of onion.  I used a sweet onion.  By the way, I also have over 70 lbs of onions from the same guy.  I used a red bell pepper chopped to make a cup.

After that, you mix the rest of the recipe into your pot.  I used an enamel cast iron pot.  You need to let it come to a boil then reduce to a simmer until it thickens up quite a bit.  




Overall this is a simple recipe but a bit time consuming due to all the chopping.  I do not use a food processor most of the time.  




Indian Apple Chutney

Ingredients





Directions



  • Wash 16 cups apples leaving the peel on them 
  • Chop your onion
  • Chop the red bell pepper
  • Chop the jalapeno peppers
  • Add all to your pot with all the other ingredients
  • Bring to boil and then simmer until thickened
  • Sterilize jars (6 to 7 pints) 
  • Bring your water bath canner to a boil and add your jars to the water
  • Water bath for 15 minutes
  • Turn off and allow to sit for 10 minutes before getting out your jars
One of the recipes I looked at called for malt vinegar so I actually added about half of the malt vinegar and the other was cider vinegar

I also used a medley of raisins where were primarily golden.

While I had my reservations about this recipe it tastes delightful.  I am now extremely excited about it and probably will make at least one more run.

The recipe made exactly 7 pints.  As you can see I used 6 pints and 2 half pint jars.  Of course, this could vary if you allow yours to cook down more then I did.  

Tomorrow I will be making Apple Relish so stay tuned.

As always please Enjoy!!
  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS