Applepolozza is almost over ~ Pickled Apples



Last night I was browsing the web for any new idea on apples.  I am getting down to the last of them and wanted to make sure that there was nothing else out there I wanted to try.  Low and behold I came across a pickled apple recipe.  What pickled apples?  Oh, my lord, I had to try it, right?  If you know me, I love pickled anything AND I will pickle anything.  I mean goodness gracious, this was common sense that I just had to give this a try.  No brainer.

I played around with the recipe because the one I found online was just too darn sweet sounding for my liking.  Just like watermelon rind pickles, I do not want them too sickly sweet and I like a bit of heat. 



I made my brine with water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamons and whole cloves and brought it a boil. 



I picked some of the nicest granny smith apples that I had left.  Twelve to be exact.  I took them outside to the apple peeler corer thingie that Scott had attached to a stainless steel table for me and went to town.



I sprayed them with lemon juice.  Again I am so happy I thought of doing this trick because it saves you so much lemon juice.



I came back in and cut them to make half slices and put the slices into my sterilized jars.  Some jars I put 2 slices of jalapenos.



After trying to pack them tight I ladled in my brine.

All jars went into the water bath canner.

Pickled Apples (makes 6 pints)

Ingredients
  • 12 Apples of your choice
  • 3 Cups water
  • 3-5 Cups sugar- depending on taste
  • 2 C apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • 3 cinnamon sticks broke in half
  • 2 whole cloves
  • 1 jalapeno sliced
Directions
  • Peel and slice apples spraying with lemon juice
  • Add all other ingredients to a pot and bring to boil.
  • Add apple slices to your sterilized jars.
  • Add brine to jars leaving 1-inch headspace, making sure at least 2 slices of jalapenos are in each jar,
  • Do not put the cinnamon sticks or cloves into the jars.
  • Place lids and rings on your jars.
  • Water bath can for 15 minutes and take off heat and allow to cool 5 minutes.
I made 2 versions of these.  One I did with 5 cups of sugar and the other with 3 cups.  I can not wait for 6 weeks to pass to give them a try.  There were a few jars that I did not put jalapenos in but I thought that the hint of heat was a nice addition.  

I personally see myself just eating them cold out of the jar but I can also see them good on a relish tray or even on a toasted bagel with some cinnamon cream cheese.  I am sure there will be lots of ways to enjoy them.  Now I just have to sit and be patient.

I promise to update you all when I have opened a jar.  

As always feel free to comment and tell me what you think.

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS