Gardening~Eggshells for the Garden~Post 1 of my Gardening Series



Since the garden season is upon us I thought to take this week to talk about how we garden for a successful and fruitful season. We use a little bit of science and have lots of fun.

Here is YET another way for you to conserve and not toss out something you might use often during the year, heck, I use them almost daily....EGGS.   Scott loves eggs.  I am not as gaga over them as he is.  Since Scott and I have been gardening together we have saved our eggshells for the nutrients for our plants in our garden.  You would not believe how much calcium you can utilize with an eggshell.  Plus another benefit it saves you money on buying a calcium amendment from the store. Yippey you save money!  I mean let's think about it, your soil is not perfect.  It is important to have your soil tested by your local county cooperative extension, that way you know which amendments you need to make.  Here in NC we have so many different times of soil.  Off the top of my head, I can name 3 types, coastal areas have sandy soil. Our mountains and foothill regions have wonderful rich dark looking soil and in the Piedmont, where we live, have yucky red clay. 

If you wish to have a fruitful garden you need to make amendments to your soil.  Which is an entirely different entry for another day this week.  Back to eggshells and how to use them in your garden.  I personally save each and every eggshell.  Yes, I have been known to go through my trash can to retrieve them when someone accidentally tossed them out. I will not name the person who has been known to toss them out but it was not me and since there are only 2 of us in the household, well you can figure that one out.  Seriously, it is worth trash can diving because they are that good for your plants.  I have a plastic bag hanging on the back of my laundry room door to put them in.  My laundry room is very close to my kitchen.  I find it easier to save your eggshells if you keep them in a place that is accessible.  

Scott crushes up the eggshells to a fine ground mix.   He stops short of making them into a powder.  They are still a crunchy mix.  

Once you have your rows positioned and you have your holes dug this is when you use the eggshells.  We just put a good dollop into the hole and put in our plant and cover it up with soil.  It is so easy to do and honestly, it will help your plants grow.

I couple of years ago a friend of mine who lives in Colorado had mentioned using eggshells, I instantly contacted Sandy and told her we use them and it really helps.  This morning I woke to a text from my good friend Pam about using eggshell tea for your garden.  I plan on doing more research about the tea and will post about it soon.  

As you see, an egg is much more than just an egg.  You can use them for breakfast.  You can use them for baking.  You can make colored eggs for Easter.  You can make deviled eggs.  Oh my the list could go on and on but NOW you know you can use them in your garden.

Stay tuned this week for my gardening posts.  Look for how to start seeds, other amendments for your soil, how to make the most of your space, compost tea and much more.  You can also follow or subscribe so you will get notifications on new posts.  

Happy Sunday folks!!  Thank goodness the sun came out today.  It was rainy and cold yesterday so we lost a good weekend day to get stuff done outside.  

Enjoy!!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS