CRANBERRY BROCCOLI SALAD ~ A SUMMERTIME FAVORITE



This is by far my most favorite summertime salad.  However, you do not have to make it only in the summer.  You can this any time of the year.  Summertime though it is especially nice because hot foods are sometimes too much in the heat of the day.

First I love broccoli second I love cranberries.  You see a lot of recipes with raisins but I have never been a big fan of them.  Cranberries are just so much better.  Yummy.

As always it is incredibly easy to make because everyone knows I like to make easy stuff.  I am in the kitchen enough as it is so when I want to make something to have for dinner or with dinner, I want to make it simple.

First I gather my ingredients.  I do this in 2 stages because I like to make the "dressing" first so it can sit while I chop and dice up the rest. 

Ingredients for dressing



Add mayo, I only add a half of a cup 




Add 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt




Add sugar



Add red wine vinegar



I just toss in some salt and pepper to taste and mix it all up.  Allowing it to sit while I put the rest together helps it to have a better flavor.  If you have the time it is even better to make a couple hours before making the salad. 

Next comes the rest of the ingredients.



Chop your broccoli.  Remember you want it the size that you would want to pop a bit into your mouth.  So, do not go too large.




Next chop your red onion.  I find the red onion is a must over a different onion in this recipe.  It gives it a nice bite.



I add the cheese, bacon, and cranberries to the mix, then the dressing.




Mix it all together and you have one of the best salads to enjoy.  Scott loves this salad.  

CRANBERRY BROCCOLI SALAD

Ingredients for the dressing

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise 
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt  
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Mix it all together allow it to marinate for a while before adding to the salad mix

Salad Ingredients
  • 5 cups chopped fresh broccoli
  • 1 small red onion chopped fine
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup bacon crumbles
  • 3/4 cup cranberries
Directions
  • Chop broccoli into bite-size pieces.
  • Chop onion fine
  • Add all ingredients to a large bowl and combine well
  • Refrigerate for a couple of hours or even better overnight
In my picture, you will see that I used pre-shredded cheddar cheese.  I rarely buy bagged cheese.  I prefer to shred my own cheese but Lidi had such a good deal that I just could not pass it over.  I normally use sharp cheddar but this one was mild.  I did not fry my own bacon as normally either because I found a bag of real bacon pieces in the cabinet.

Besides a 7 layer salad, this is one of my very most favorite salads.  I have started making my own Greek-style yogurt so I have been subbing half yogurt when recipes call for mayonnaise.  If you notice I also use olive oil mayo.  It is more heart healthy and better for you.

If you like this recipe please comment.  If not don't LOL

Happy Friday Peeps, hope ya'll have a great weekend.

ENJOY!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS