WONDERFUL CRAB CAKES ~WITH OLD BAY SEASONING


I have not had a really good crab cake in 10 years and by that, I mean REALLY GOOD ones.  A delicious crab cake has just the correct amount of moisture but it still holds together when you make the patties.  You want to be able to create the patties with your hand and it will not fall apart.  You need really good lump crabmeat and if you can find fresh it is even better.  Another reason why so many people wind up with a bland crab cake is they use too much filling.  You have to find the correct blend and you want about double the amount of crabmeat to the ratio of filling.  I have tried over and over to get that mix just right and I think I finally have done it.  



This recipe is adapted from skinnytaste but I put my own spin on it.  I actually combine my recipe with this one.  I wanted a spicier taste in my crab cake.  

I did not fry these babies up.  I did not want all the fat and grease.  I wanted to be able to attempt to duplicate the awesomeness of the ones I had when visiting Maryland 10 years ago.

This recipe comes together really quick.  

Combine eggs, panko. mayonnaise, dijon mustard, fresh lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning, garlic salt, fresh cracked pepper, paprika, minced green onions and Texas Pete in a bowl.




Add crabmeat to mix and combine well



Gently with your hands make patties


Sprinkle more Old Bay Seasoning on top of the crab cakes and bake.



CRAB CAKES

Ingredients 
  • 1 lb lump crabmeat 
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup panko 
  • 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
  • juice of a half of a large lemon
  • 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning plus more to sprinkle on top before cooking
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 green onion minced
  • 1 teaspoon Texas Pete
Directions
  • Combine all ingredients except the crabmeat in a bowl.  
  • Once the mixture is combined well add the lump crabmeat.
  • Combine all ingredients together.  
  • Gently shape with your hands into patties.
  • Shake more Old Bay Seasoning on top of the patties per your taste.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Honestly, I used more Texas Pete hot sauce and quite a bit of the Old Bay Seasoning to flavor my cakes.  I made a salad that consisted of romaine lettuce, purple onion, tomatoes, black olives, pepperoncini peppers and topped with Italian dressing to serve with my crab cakes.  I squeezed more lemon on my crab cake prior to eating.  


*** UPDATE:  Some people may not want to use lump crab meat and if you do not want to that is fine.  Buy the can white crab meat that you find in the same area that they have canned tuna.  You get 2 crab cakes out of a can.  Below is a picture of crab cakes made out of white crab meat. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS