Apple Palozza is still going strong ~ Apple Salsa



I really thought I was kicking apple butt, however, I think now it is starting to kick mine.  I am on a timeline to work them as quick as I can so they do not good bad.  That would just kill my frugal heart.  Heck, that is part of the reason I can because I hate for things to go to waste.  

I thought the red delicious were all used but I was WRONG.  I found more.  I have them dehydrating now.  I will have one more batch after this one.  

It is crazy when you are gifted with so much free bounty that you just have no clue for a minute what to do.  I think the word I am looking for is OVERWHELMING.  I have to admit at times this week I have been very overwhelmed but I realize how blessed we are.  

Since I had so many apples and 3 different types my thoughts were to try new recipes.  Recipes I might not have ever made due to the cost of apples.  Imagine me rubbing my hands together in glee over the prospect of being able to play around a bit.

I love salsa.  I think I have 6 different kinds downstairs now sitting on one of my canning shelves.  Which made me think.... APPLE SALSA why not, right?  I mean something has to happen with all those apples.  




I looked at several recipes and came up with one of my own.  I made sure I had the correct amount of vinegar to make it safe.  Acidity in water bath canning is extremely important.  



I chose to use Roma tomatoes since they were on sale at a local grocery store.  Which does go against the grain for me because I am not a fan of store-bought tomatoes but Roma seems to have more flavor than other tomatoes.  I chopped 5 cups of Roma tomatoes.




Chop 3 cups of apples.  I used a few golden delicious because I had peeled too many earlier when I re-made the apple relish, otherwise, I used granny smith.  I also put a bit of lime juice on my apples to help them from turning dark and also lime juice is a good acidity to add to salsa.




I chopped a quarter of a red bell pepper and a half of an orange bell pepper. The red had been in the fridge since Friday and needed to be used.




I opted for a red onion but originally I had planned on using a yellow onion.  I switched to the red onion because when I went to get a yellow one the red ones were going bad.  I can NOT have that.  Chop one large red onion.





I wanted to add some heat so I chopped up 5 jalapenos and left the seeds in them.  I also chopped 3 cloves of garlic with the jalapenos.




To make it a safe recipe I added a full cup of white vinegar.

At this point, I added one 3 ounce jar of tomato paste.  Yep, it is store bought because I am out of homemade.  I did have a jar of home canned tomato sauce which I added as well.



I sprinkled some ground cumin on top of everything.  



Apple Salsa

Ingredients
  • 5 Cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
  • 3 Cups peeled and chopped apples
  • lime juice sprinkled on apples
  • 1 large red or yellow onion
  • 1 large red, orange or yellow bell pepper chopped
  • 3 minced cloves of garlic
  • 1 Cup of white vinegar
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 - 3 oz tomato paste
  • 1 - 16 oz tomato sauce
Directions
  • Chop, tomatoes, apples, red onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic.
  • Add some lime juice to the apples so they do not darken.  
  • Put the tomatoes, apples, onions, bell pepper, jalapenos and garlic in a 6-quart pot.
  • Add all other ingredients to the 6-quart pot.
  • Bring to boil and then simmer until desired texture and consistency.
  • Ladle into sterilized jars,  Put on lids and rims.
  • Water bath can for 15 minutes.
  • Once time is up take off heat and allow to sit for additional 10 minutes.
This recipe made 5 and half pints.



When making salsa a lot of people will add either sugar or honey.  I do not do this.  I like the tomato flavor and especially when using Roma tomatoes, they are sweet tasting to me.  I just do not like sweet salsa.  Now, that might sound funny because I just made apple salsa but this is by no means a sweet salsa.  I am sure if you wish you could increase the apples to make it sweeter.  

If you make this recipe please post a picture and tell me if you made any changes.  

Enjoy!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS