Vanilla Extract, How to make with 2 ingredients




I ran across an article a while back about making your own vanilla extract.  
Hmm, now that got my attention.  From what I read once you make it you will never go back to store-bought.  I have to agree it is 100% true.  There is just nothing like the aroma and taste of homemade extracts.  It smells so yummy.  I will never go back to the expensive store-bought stuff again.  I mean NEVER!  The best thing is you only need vanilla beans and some alcohol that is at least 80 proof, and a bit of patience.  I ordered vanilla beans from Amazon Prime.  I chose vanilla Tahitian near gourmet grade A/B Beans for $15 and got 5 beans.  My first batch was with cheap vodka but you can use rum, brandy or bourbon.  

All you do is pour out a shot or two of your alcohol and drop your vanilla beans into the bottle and that is it. Well, your part is done, this is where the bits of patience must come in because the longer it sits the better it is.  Mine has been going since October, 6 months, and it has an amazing aroma and flavor.  You can use it as early as 6 weeks but I would really try to be patient and wait as long as you can to use.   Yeah back to pouring out that alcohol, right, do you think I am gonna waste anything?  Especially alcohol and if you use vodka you can always make my spa drink cosmo or my balsamic basil strawberry martini with that bit you have to pour out. 


I just ordered more beans and will buy rum probably tomorrow to see the difference. 

I used all 5 of my beans in a fifth of vodka.  Some people double the number of beans.  You can do this if you want but if you use a high proof of alcohol it will be a solvent and bring out the vanilla. Why waste the money if you can do the same with 5 beans?  Just my opinion.  




I also ordered some small brown 3 ounce bottles for my extract.  Did you notice half of my extract has already been given away or used?  Yep, it is that good.  

Maybe I need to make a pound cake next to showcase on some usages.  

Look at my entry on what to do with your alcohol-soaked vanilla beans, well you can make vanilla sugar



Enjoy!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS