MY MAMA'S SQUASH CASSEROLE


Ok, it may or may not be my Mama's recipe.  I may have changed it just a tad, not much though.  It still reminds me of my mom's squash casserole.

Many of us grew up eating casseroles.  Women and maybe a few men use to make them for home or any type pot luck whether it was a family reunion, dinner at a friend's house or a church potluck gathering.  It seems like at every holiday my mom and I discuss what casseroles we should make.  My daughter loves squash casserole, I guess I should call her and have her come to try this recipe. 

Since the squash is growing in abundance I am trying to do a squash dish a day.  I have made Parmesan squash chipspickled squash salad, and grilled vegetable lasagna to name a few.  Well, those are the things I have posted.  I have grilled squash and zucchini and threw some in a pasta salad.  



This is not a quick nor a simple recipe.  It is time-consuming and a labor of love but it is really stinking good.  Well, maybe stinking is not a good term for this because it is awesomely awesome.  

I do not like a squash casserole where the squash just falls apart as you are eating it.  I want one that the squash is tender and stays together.  I want some meat to my casserole.  I cut my squash kind of thick.  



Same way with onions, I wanted them chunky. 



Of course, you can cut your onion and squash to the thickness you desire.  

After I cut my veggies, I threw them in a large enamel cast iron pan with some extra virgin olive oil.  I did not have it on high but rather on a 3 and I put the top on and went and took a shower.  So, I am guessing it cooked for about 15 minutes.  I wanted it to steam not really cook or brown.



This is where the good stuff comes in.  The mix that goes with your squash and onions.  I used 2 types of cheese.  I normally prefer to shred my own cheese.



Next, I gathered some ingredients.



I mixed the shredded cheese with 2 slightly beaten eggs, fresh chopped thyme, sour cream, mayo, and some black pepper.



Blended that well and added the drained squash and onion and mixed up again.



I sprayed some butter cooking spray on the bottom of a casserole dish and added the mix.



I melted butter which I added to some buttery crackers and parmesan cheese. Yep, that means I used 3 different kinds of cheese in this recipe.  My no means is this diet friendly.



Mix that up.



Add that on top of the veggie mix and baked at 350 degrees.



MY MAMA'S SQUASH CASSEROLE

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds yellow squash
  • 2 small onions
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 ounces of sour cream
  • 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoon fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 eggs slightly beaten
  • 4 ounce shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 ounces shredded swiss cheese
  • 1 1/2 sleeves of buttery crackers
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Cut squash and onions to the desired thickness.  Warm your skillet as you are cutting your vegetables and add cold olive oil, add your vegetables and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt. Place the lid on and allow to slowly steam cook.  About 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Drain the vegetable mixture for at least 5 minutes.
  • Shred your cheddar and swiss cheese.
  • Chop your thyme.
  • Mix eggs, sour cream, mayo, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, pepper, and shredded sharp cheddar and swiss cheese.
  • Fold the squash and onions into the cheese mixture.
  • Melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
  • Add melted butter to crackers and parmesan cheese and blended well.
  • Put your vegetable mixture into a casserole dish and then add the cracker mix to the top.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until your topping is browned.
As I said this is by no means diet friendly but it is really wonderful.  I have made quite a few squash casseroles and I think Scott and I agree this is by far the best one I have made yet.  

ENJOY!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS