THE BEST PARMESAN SQUASH/ZUCCHINI CHIPS EVER


So, the other day I posted a few things about zucchini, like what to do with tons of it.  Well, my summer/yellow squash has been producing more then the zucchini has.  

Normally I can squash relish which is with zucchini and summer squash.  The stuff is truly out of this world delicious.  However, I do not need to can any this year.  Now, what to do with yellow squash that is coming out of your ears.  Kind of like here a squash, there a squash, everybody gets a squash.  I did talk my friend Lisa into taking some the other day and my daughter had got a few too.  My next door neighbor said no.  I still have so much squash.  Of course in a few weeks, I will be crying because there will be no more squash.  

As I was pondering what to do I remembered that my friend Anna's mom mentioned parmesan squash to me a few weeks back.  I text Anna to see if she fried it or was it oven baked and it was fried.  I really did not want to fry my squash so I decided to play around and make my own recipe for parmesan squash chips.  Something that would not require me standing for an hour frying up squash.  

Oh for the record I have 3 friends with the name Anna.  This Anna I will call Sepulveda.  I love that last name.  Daniel Sepulveda use to play football for my Steelers and I use to love to hear my husband say his name.  For some reason, it just sounded so sexy to me.  So, that is your funny story for today. 

Everyone knows I am all about simple and easy to make recipes.  I also love to use up stuff and not allow it to go bad.  With this thought concept, I came up with this recipe.  

I wanted to use an egg wash to keep the dry ingredients in place so I cracked a couple of eggs, mixed them up, and put in a pan.



Next, I took panko, shredded parmesan cheese, pepper, garlic salt, and dried oregano and made a dry mix to coat the squash in and put it in a pan to dip them into.



I cut the squash up.



At this point, I was ready to dip the squash in the egg wash.



...Dip into dry coating mix.



I lined a baking sheet with foil and sprayed it with oil.  Place the squash on the foil and gave the squash a spritz of the cooking oil to help it brown better.



I put the baking sheet in the oven at 450 degrees and cooked for 12 minutes.  



As I said earlier, I played around with this a bit.  If you notice in the pictures the squash has been cut to be crinkle and pretty and in another, they were just cut with a normal knife.  I had a hard time getting the dry batter coating to stick on the squash crinkled cut.  I had to finish cutting with a knife.  It really did not matter because with all the coating you could not tell which ones were prettier than the others.

BEST PARMESAN SQUASH CHIPS

Ingredients
  • 4 medium yellow squash
  • 2 eggs - beaten
  • 1 cup panko
  • 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese 
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 450.
  • Cut the yellow squash with a knife into coins, no more than 1/4 inch.
  • Beat 2 eggs and put into a pan that you can dip squash into easily.
  • Mix all other ingredients together and put into a pan you can dip squash into easily.
  • Dip the squash first into the eggs then into the dry coating mixture.
  • Arrange on a foil-lined baking suit that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
  • Spray squash lightly with cooking oil.
  • Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Next time I am going to add some heat for more flavor.  I will probably add some Tony Chachere Creole Seasoning or some cayenne pepper powder. 

Also, I think a dipping sauce would be good to made to dip them in.  

Dipping Sauce 
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 to 2 tablespoon homemade ranch mix
  • Mix all together and dip your chips
I have been sick all week and have not been able to do my normal stuff.  The animals have been taken care of and the blueberries picked, along with picking the garden.  My house is a wreck and the laundry needs to be done.  Hopefully tomorrow I will feel much better.  I leave next Wednesday to visit my Aunt and cousins in Texas.  I will be gone a week so I need to get stuff done!!

ENJOY!!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS