HOW TO MAKE PERFECT FRENCH TOAST WITH A FEW SECRET INGREDIENTS~TRULY DECADENT

FRENCH TOAST MADE PERFECTLY


Let me preface this by saying this is meant to be a truly decadent breakfast.  This recipe is not a diet recipe.  

For some reason late last night before I finally succumbed to sleep, French toast popped into my mind.  I am not really a big fan but when I have cravings I have learned to go with them.   As I was laying in bed, I thought maybe this craving would dimish in the light of day.  Well, guess what?  It did not go away and I just have to go with my gut, no pun intended.  

Isn't French toast a funny thing?  Think about it.  It is break, egg, milk product, and some cinnamon.  Who would have thought putting these ingredients together would make a breakfast meal?  It is kind of like pimento cheese.  Why would you put cheese, mayo, pimento peppers and some spices together?  I make my own pimento cheese, click here for the recipe.

I hope the title got you interested because I have found that there are 2 things that really make French toast the bomb.  Well, a few more then 2 but only 2 are my secret ingredients.  This is the way I look at French toast, it is decadent and if you are going to eat it, you might as well eat it like a King or Queen.  Meaning, go all out.  For the love of God almighty, not skimp on this recipe!!  I refuse to do diet crap when it comes to being decadent. 
  • Make sure you preheat your pan and it is nice and hot.  
  • You a good pan.
  • Use real butter!
  • Make sure you chose a good bread that is a few days old. 
  • Use half and half vs milk.
  • Maple syrup is a must. 
  • Do not use powdered sugar.
Those are some important steps in making a nice crisp French toast.  I mean, seriously, who wants a soggy piece of French toast.  Let me explain why I find those steps important.  

Preheating your pan is essential.  You need your pan hot but not to where it will cook too quickly.  If you pan is the right temperature, you will be able to cook your toast slowly and it will crisp up well.  Also, make sure you are using a really good pan.  The last thing you want is for your toast to stick.  I love cast iron but a lot of people do not.  

Next real butter, is a MUST.  Unsalted butter is the best for this recipe.  Nothing is like the flavor of butter.  It is a great fat to use when making this recipe.

Bread is the key to this recipe.  I mean duh?  But, seriously your choice of bread will make or break a good piece of French toast.  I like sourdough.  I make it homemade so I know it is a good one to use.  Here is my recipe.  Another good bread to use is brioche.  If you chose white bread, make sure it is thick sliced.  You also want it a few days old.  I am not talking stale but you want it to be stiff to some degree.  You do not want a piece of bread that is too soft.  If it is too soft you can not get a good crust on your French toast.  



Use half and half instead of milk.  You need your liquid mixture that you dip your bread in to be thick not thin as milk will make it.  Do not use fat-free half and half. 

Next comes syrup.  Again if you are going to indulge please go ahead and chose a good syrup.  Maple syrup is a nice touch but if you chose to use a normal syrup make sure your choice is worth it or otherwise you have just ruined your French toast.  

Do not use powdered sugar.  If you sprinkle powdered sugar on your toast once it is done it will turn it soggy because all it does is melt into the bread.  


Make your liquid mixture.  


Mix it up.


Dip your bread quickly into the mixture.  Do not let it sit.  Overcoating your bread will make it soggy.


As soon as you have it coated put into buttered up pan.


You see cooking it on a nice heat will brown and crisp your toast perfectly.




 See it is that easy to make a decadent breakfast.  
Serve it up on a warm plate.


Maybe with some bacon.


Ok, now I have yet to tell you my secret ingredients.  No, they are not special but they really do make a difference.  So here they are.   

Use a bit of real vanilla extract.  I make my own.  Click here for the recipe.  I put a teaspoon into my batter mixture.  This gives it a wonderful flavor.  



As you know I said earlier to not use powdered sugar because it can cause the soggy effect.  Well, when I put my bread into my warm pan to cook, I sprinkle on some cinnamon sugar.  



No those are not special things but they do make your French toast a notch above anything else.  As do the other important things I have mentioned.  

Honestly, please do not go diet on this recipe.  I can sit here and tell you what to do to decrease the calorie and fat but this recipe is not meant to be fat-free or a diet friendly meal.  If you must please comment and I will tell you how and what to change to make this a low fat friendly breakfast.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS