UPDATED: SOURDOUGH BREAD WITH A POTATO STARTER



I love sourdough bread.  
Especially warm from the oven with some butter.


It is so easy to make with a starter.  I use a potato flake starter. 
You can make your bread in many different shapes.  You can make it crusty.  
You can use different flour mixes. 
You can add garlic, spices, cheese, olives, well you get the picture.
You can make cinnamon rolls or raisin or cranberry bread.  
Again the list goes on and on. 
I know I used a lot of "you" there but you really can.  


Potato Flake Starter Recipe
1 Cup warm water around 105 degrees (too hot will kill the yeast)
1/2 C sugar
1 packet of dry yeast
3 level Tablespoons of potato flakes

Directions
In a small bowl add all ingredients and mix well.  I keep mine in a quart canning jar with plastic wrap on top with a couple of holes poked into the plastic wrap.  Let that sit for 2 days then feed your starter

How to feed your starter
1 C of warm water
1/2 C sugar
3 T potato flakes

Directions
Mix well and add to your starter.  All to sit on the container for 8 to 12 hours then you can make bread.  If you are not going to make bread give away a cup or toss a cup.  You can keep your starter in the fridge and only feed it a couple times a week.  If you want to bake more often you can keep it on the countertop and make bread every other day.  

How to make bread
1 1/4 C of starter
1 C of warm water
1/2 C canola oil
1 T kosher or sea salt
1/4 C sugar (I use a bit less)
6 C bread flour

Directions 
Mix all ingredients together and knead 5 to 10 minutes by hand or with a dough hook in a stand-up mixer.  
Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. I actually use a throwaway shower cap from the dollar tree that I spray with some canola spray oil.
Place in a warm area.  I put mine in my oven with the light on.  With the light on you do not have to turn on the oven.  The warmth from the light is enough to help your bread rise.
Let it rise to where it doubles or triples in size.
Punch down and place in whatever pan or pans you plan on cooking the bread in and let rise again.  I just pull mine out of the bowl which deflates it enough.
Once your bread has risen to the top of your pan you are ready to bake
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
I use 2 loaf pans I think they are 9 X 5 pans.

Sourdough bread is truly a wonderful bread.  My friends love it.  Their kids love it. Matter of a fact, Lawrence and Sophie's son, Little Man, just asked for some this past weekend.  He tells me I make the best bread.  My neighbor loves it.  It makes great french toast, nest eggs, and awesome gifts. Even better when baking it the house smells heavenly.  I hope you will give it a try and as I always say, Enjoy!! Oh and today is the first day of Spring so Happy Spring my friends.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS