COPY CAT PF CHANG MONGOLIAN BEEF

I absolutely love Mongolian Beef.  I could eat it every day.  Well, maybe not every day because I am not a huge beef fan.   It is so yummy but going to PF Changs is a pain and would become quite pricey.  Yep, there is my frugal self-coming out.  I have made Mongolian Beef several times but I have not been totally happy with the results.  After doing tons of research on this recipe I narrowed down how I wanted to make it and I decided to use my pressure cooker.  

This is the first time I have used my electric pressure cooker for this recipe and I have to admit I really like how it made the meat tender. As I have said, I love my pressure cooker and it is so much fun to use.  


Mongolian Beef





I dusted my beef with cornstarch in a ziplock bag  I used cubed beef like stew meat but a bit smaller.  I set my pressure cooker to saute mode and added sesame seed oil to warm.  Brown the meat very lightly.  Once it was cooked to my likely, a bit pink still, I took the meat out.  Since I had more to cook I did not want to overcook the meat.


Chop your onion and garlic.  If you do not have fresh garlic you can use garlic powder but fresh really is better. 



Also if you have fresh ginger, mince an inch of the stalk.


Here are some of the ingredients you will need.  I used white pepper verses black pepper. 


Next, I sauteed a yellow onion for a couple of minutes then add chopped garlic and ginger to the onions.  I only cooked for a couple of minutes until it was fragrant.  In the meantime mix together, 1 cup water, 1 cup reduced sodium soy sauce, and1/4 cup brown sugar, some kosher salt, and white pepper.  You can substitute beef stock in the place of the water.  Add this mixture to the inner pot along with the beef. You will need to cancel the saute mode and pick the manual mode to cook 14 minutes. 




Do a quick release. At this point, you can add a slurry of 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and 2 Tablespoon water to the pot.  Since I only have 1 pressure cooker I transferred my Mongolian Beef to a pot so I could make rice.  Either way, cook until you reduced to the thickness you like.




I added some steamed broccoli to mine dish.  It was so yummy.  The best I have made yet.  Even my husband liked it and he is not big on sweet stuff. While this is not really sweet it does have brown sugar which gives it a hint of sweetness but the ginger is truly the key to this recipe.  Ginger gives it the tang it needed and I would not skip on using fresh ginger, sorry the powder just is will not push this dish over the edge.  

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS