DIY TACO SEASONING *UPDATED*

Well, it is rather funny if you were to look in my cabinets to see all the various pre-packaged spice mixes I have.  Or even too gander into my spice cabinet to see how much I have and how anal I am on how I have them arranged.  The way I look at it since I do most of the cooking, shouldn't I be able to have things arranged as I want?  I can tell when someone has been in my spice cabinet.  Yep, I am a bit OCD with the order of stuff and I can normally find anything in that cabinet with one try.  That is why I can tell if someone has rearranged stuff.  I have my spices arranged by order of what I use the most. Makes perfect sense to me.  

Last week I decided I would make a taco pie. Boy was it good too!  Of course, I can not just make a taco pie without doing tons of research on a recipe and then I will make it into what I want.  When I make something I get out all my ingredients prior to putting the dish together.  That way everything is at my fingertips and I am not rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off attempting to find what I need.  I knew I had all the ingredients.  HA was I wrong.  Of all the things I did not have was a pre-packaged taco spice seasoning.  Hmm, what do you do then?  I mean I surely did not want to run back out to the store to get this item.  I have been meaning to take a day and make my own spice blends to keep on hand versus the pre-packaged stuff.  After all is this not healthier?  Surely there's less sodium and preservatives in your own spice blends.  I have chili seasoning already made so why not make taco seasoning? 


After much research, I came up with using these ingredients to make a taco seasoning




Taco Seasoning


Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder (less if you do not want it too spicy)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder 
  • 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes or 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. Paprika
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp. Black Pepper

Here you can see all the ingredients in the bowl. 
All you have to do is whisk them together and voila you have 
your own Taco Seasoning.

This recipe is a hot and spicy seasoning.  
If you wish to reduce the heat
omit the crushed red pepper flakes and reduce
the chili powder by half.  

I have to admit my taco pie was a huge success and I look forward to making it again in the future with a homemade spice blend of my own.  I will post the taco pie recipe soon.  For now, enjoy.

UPDATE:  I recently changed this up a bit.  I use cayenne verses the pepper flakes.  I also go to the higher amount of ingredients.  I love cumin so I also go heavy on that.  However, the best trick is, when you would add your're normal store-bought seasoning and add water, do not just add water take a beef bouillon cube and crush it in the water.  Add that to your cooked ground beef.  Then the seasoning.  Honestly, this makes it so much better.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS