BREAD AND BUTTER PEPPERS ~ ANOTHER GOOD WAY TO PICKLE A PEPPER



My friend Anna shared this recipe with me several years back and I have been using it ever since because I normally have so many peppers that I just do not know what to do with all of them.  While I love to can Candied Jalapenos this is another great recipe to use.  I use it with peppers that have a bit of heat such as hot banana peppers or jalapenos you could def use a sweet pepper in this recipe.  The original recipe called for banana peppers and one jalapeno.  I pretty much just use whatever peppers I have on hand because my pepper plants are very prolific. 





In the next week, we should be putting in our garden.  I started my tomato plants, jalapenos and bell pepper plants about 8 weeks ago.  We keep our seeds each year so we do not have to go buy seeds.  Yes, again the frugal side of me is shining through.  Normally we have more peppers started but those seeds did not work out this year.  They were viable but the reason is a whole different story.  




As I gear up for gardening it always brings me to canning.  I am a canaholic.  Is that a word?  Well, it is now.  While I can a lot of stuff some of my friends tell me I will pickle anything.  Well, I will pickle anything that sounds good to me and that is possible to pickle.  I have pickled a few things I would never do again but that is all with trial and error.  After all, you are supposed to learn from your mistakes.

Back to the recipe.  This is a delightful recipe and one that can be a fridge pickle or one you can water bath.  

BREAD AND BUTTER PEPPERS

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs peppers sliced into coins
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1/4 C canning salt
  • 12 ice cubes
  • 2 C sugar 
  • 1 C white vinegar
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp celery seeds
Directions 
  • In a large bowl combine peppers, onions, canning salt and ice cubes.  Allow sitting for 2 hours.
  • Rinse and drain mixture.
  • In a large enough saucepan add all other ingredients, bring to boil until sugar melts.  
  • If you are canning them you will need 4 half pints sterilized jars.  Water bath can for 10 minutes.  Turn of canner then cool 5 minutes and take out of your canner.
  • If you are putting in the fridge it makes a quart.
If you are canning them you will want to allow them to sit for a while.  I try hard not to open my pickles for 6 weeks.  




Refrigerator pickles need to sit at least 24 hours but better if you can stay out of them for a week.  

They are awesome on hamburgers or hotdogs.  I love putting them on an appetizer tray with other stuff.  You could even do with red peppers and green ones to make as Christmas gifts.  

ENJOY!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS