DULCE DE LECHE ~ INSTANT POT ~ UPDATED WITH STOVE TOP METHOD



Dulce De Leche is sweetened condensed caramel that is extremely popular in South America.  I mean let's think about it how can you go wrong with caramel? It is a sinful guilty pleasure of mine.  Ok, you are probably saying, What, she does NOT like sweets.  I say that often but the simple fact is I LOVE sweets.  I just try really hard not to eat them.  

This recipe is for your instant pot.  I love my instant pot as much if not more then caramel.  I love to cook.  I convinced my friend Michelle to buy one.  She was here on Tuesday and she brought me her cookbooks that she had purchased.  We were going over some recipes she was thinking about making.  I told her some recipes are just as quick on the stove top but the good thing about the IP is you can use it and not have to sit on what you are cooking like you do with the stove top versions.  Which gives you time to cook other foods or do chores or maybe watch TV.  

It is funny her husband asked me about a month ago have I ever made Dulce De Leche with sweetened condensed milk.  I laugh and said I did the other day for the cheesecake I made when you guys were over for dinner.  




Honestly, this is so easy.  I chose a recipe where I did not have to make it in a jar.  A lot of recipes online say to make it in a jar.  I did not want to do that because one it is messy and two, how it comes out.  You have to blend it once it comes out of the IP.  It sure would be pretty hard to do that in a pint jar.  

Now you can make this 2 ways.  I chose to do the 2 ingredient method because the addition of baking soda gives this a deeper color.  It comes out so rich looking.  Basically, all you need is a can of sweetened condensed milk, a stainless steel bowl that fits in your IP and some baking soda.  Do not confuse baking soda with baking powder.  This recipe will NOT work with baking powder.  You want baking soda for the deep rich caramel color.  

Dulce De Leche

Ingredient

  • 1-14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 C of cold water
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 3 tbsp water


Directions
  • Pour 1 cup of cold water into the inner pot of your IP.
  • Mix 3 tbsp water with 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
  • Open you condensed milk and pour into a stainless steel bowl.
  • Add the baking soda mixture and mix well
  • Manually set your IP for 40 and quick release
When you open your IP you are going to think something went really wrong because it is congealed looking but all you have to do is mix it up.  I used a hand-held immersion blender.  Mixing it will smooth your caramel out to what you want it to look like.

I used an off-brand can of sweetened condensed milk that I had purchased at Aldi.  Mine only took 40 minutes but if you make this and find it is not done just cook it for another 20 minutes.  Other people I know who have tried this recipe used Eagle Brand and it also only took 40 minutes.  

Again I made mine for a cheesecake but you can use Dulce De Leche in so many ways.  Dip fruit or pretzels in it.  Pour some in your coffee.  Top a cake with some.  Well, use your imagination on how to use it.  Wink Wink.  

It really is easy and simple to make.  

Enjoy your Friday peeps!!

UPDATE

Stovetop method

  1. Pour one can of sweetened condensed milk in a double boiler, cover and place over boiling water. 
  2. Cook over low heat for 40 t0 50 minutes until thickened. 



Comments

  1. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! Viking , Wolf, Dacor, BlueStar, GE Stove & Range Repair in SANTA MONICA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS