SOURDOUGH ~ STARTER MADE OF FLOUR AND WATER ~ STUFFED BREAD

Olive, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Italian blend cheese, Italian Seasoning with garlic.

I love sourdough bread. Just nothing quite like it.  I love the tangy flavor.  For many years I have dabbled and played with a potato flake starter.  This is a new experience for me.  Our friend Wade gave me a starter last week, it is made with equal parts distilled water and unbleached flour.  You leave it out and feed it daily until it starts to bubble which means that nature yeast is now blended into your starter, which makes it "ripe".



Last Friday, I used the starter to make pizza crusts.  It came out pretty darn good.  We were having friends over and I was unsure how many people would be here so I made enough for 3 pizzas.  

Today, I got it out and started playing with it again.  This starter is harder to work and takes a lot of time to get it down pat.  I am keeping it in my fridge which means I do not have to feed it as much.  Maybe once a week but if it is out on the counter you will need to feed daily and make something with the starter or toss it out.  

This is the recipe I used today.

SOURDOUGH BREAD


Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 Cup unbleached flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp yeast
  • 2 Cup ripe starter
  • 1/2 Cup distilled water 105 degrees
Directions
  • Add yeast to water and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
  • Add all other ingredients to a bowl.
  • Add water-yeast mixture to the other ingredients.
  • I used my Kitchenaide Mixer and kneaded for 7 minutes.
  • Place into a greased bowl and cover with plastic or a clean dishtowel.
  • Allow to sit 2 hours and it should have doubled or tripled in size.
  • Punch it down.
  • At this point, you place it into a bread pan or a bread basket. 
  • Allow rising for another hour or two.  
  • Bake on 425 for 25 minutes.

I had to adjust the amount of flour and I am pretty sure I used 3 Cups.  It really depends on how stiff your starter.  So, Wade if you happen to drop in and read this, I GET IT.

You do not have to use yeast but I did not have time to allow the natural yeast to work its magic.  If you chose not to use yeast the rising process will take much longer. 

I also did mine in rolls.  I used my rolling pin and flatted my dough out and it was large enough to make 2 rolls.

The first one has Italian blended cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives. 




The next one is Monterrey Jack cheese, minced garlic, and jalapenos. 



I just rolled them up and put them in the oven with the light on to help them rise.  I do not cut the oven on because the warmth of the light is enough.





I wanted a crispy crust so I spritzed with water right before I put them in the oven.   Then again twice in the first 10 minutes of baking. It worked beautifully.  

Jalapeno Monterey Jack and Minced Garlic with Tomato Powder


The flavor on both was very nice.  I love this starter because you can do almost anything with it.  I hope to make pretzels next week.  With my potato flake starter, I made some cinnamon rolls.  I will share that soon as well.
ENJOY!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS