The Best Stuffed Tilapia EVER (Or fish of your choice)


A while back I found tilapia on sale for hardly nothing.  They were pretty nice sized fillets.  Normally I bake or fry tilapia with a special mix and reduced with white wine but they were so nice sized I thought why not stuff them.  I have to be honest, I had never stuffed fish before.  I had no clue what I was doing, as usual.  I tend to just look at recipes for ideas then make it how I wanna make it.  

Most searches brought up crab stuffed tilapia.  Since this was not a per say SPECIAL meal I just could not see my frugal heart wasting money on lump crab meat.  I opted for a spinach and cheese base stuffing.  Of course, not just any ole cheese will do with fish.  I think you need a strong one.  Something to compliant the fish.  I chose a swiss and gruyere mix.  

I love onions and since I have 80lbs of them I opted to take a small onion and dice it along with 5 cloves of garlic.  Yes, I love garlic.  Of course, if you do not, you do not have to add the garlic.  I sauteed the onion until it was starting to caramelize and threw in the garlic and the fresh spinach.  I wilted the spinach pretty good.

While that was going on I had to make a base to put it in.  I used bread crumbs, one egg, lemon juice, my cheese mixture, and a bit of mayonnaise.  You have to let your hot stuff cool a while before you add it to the other mixture.   This gave me time to season my fish fillets.  I put a bit of pink salt, fresh ground pepper and some fish seasoning I had picked up a while back.  

Once everything had cooled down I divided the mix onto each fish fillet.  I had to use several toothpicks to keep the fish wrapped around the mix. 

Then in the oven, it went.  I honestly had no clue what I was in store for when it was finished.  Oh, my goodness was it good.  I thought I was heaven.  I normally am a quick eater but I savored every single morel of my piece.  It was that good.  

Stuffed Tilapia with Swiss, Gruyere Cheese, and Spinach 

Ingredients

  • 4 large tilapia fillets or fish of your choice
  • small onion diced
  • 5 minced garlic cloves - optional
  • shredded swiss cheese
  • shredded gruyere cheese
  • one egg 
  • 1/2 C bread crumbs
  • 1/4 C mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp lemon juice 
  • Fish seasoning
  • salt
  • pepper 
Directions

  • Saute onion until almost caramelized, add spinach and garlic.  Wilt spinach.  Set aside to cool.
  • Mix cheeses egg, bread crumbs, mayo and lemon juice together. 
  • Add both mixtures together.
  • Sprinkle salt, pepper and fish seasoning over the tilapia then divide the stuffing mixture to the fish.  I did not measure.  I just seasoned.
  • Wrap fish over the stuffing mix using toothpicks to keep it together.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Place in a casserole dish and cook for 15 minutes or until fish is opaque.
  • Serve 
I honestly was blown away by the flavor of this dish.  Plus it came together in less than 15 minutes.  If you add the cook time the whole dish took a total of 30 minutes.  This would rival any stuffed fish at a restaurant.  I was just playing around with my tilapia because again I tend to get in a rut and cook it one of 2 ways, I found this dish amazing and easily made into a special something kind of dinner.  

I really hope you will try this recipe and please let me know how you like it.  

Now it is off to the zoo with my daughter and grandson.  

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS