CANDIED SWEET AND SPICY JALAPENOS ~ OH SO AWESOME


These little devils are addicting.  Everyone that I have given a jar to has enjoyed them and my local friends come back for more quite often.  Calling you out guys, Van, Foxy and Lawrence.  I have even shipped them out to Colorado to my friend Sandy.  

Candied jalapenos aka Cowboy Candy are spicy sweet pickled jalapenos.  Oh goodness, they are so so GOOD.  I have been making them for MANY years but they have really become popular online in the last 5 or so.  

Imagine softened cream cheese being smothered in something hot and spicy but sweet at the same time?  Just take a cracker and dig in.  Bless my heart they are so divine.

I have been known to add them to Mexican dishes, pizza, homemade summer sausage.  Oh, and you talk about good put them on a homemade pimento cheese sandwich.  My friend Van eats them with my homemade pimento cheese as a dip on a cracker topped with candied jalapenos. 


Nummy Nummy Nummy


Really if you google Cowboy Candy you will realize they are a sensation all on their own. 



Cut some jalapenos 


Gather ingredients


You also need apple cider vinegar to make the brine.  

Add jalapenos to the brine.


Jar them up.



Candied Jalapenos

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs jalapenos
  • 2 C apple cider vinegar
  • 3 to 6 C sugar depends on your taste
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp celery seed
  • 3 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Directions
  • Slice jalapenos no larger than 1/4 inch.
  • In a large pot bring all other ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Add the jalapenos slices to the brine and simmer for 4 minutes.
  • Fill sterilized jars with peppers and brine.  It is best to add the peppers with a slotted spoon then ladle in the brine.
  • Wipe jars clean and put on lids and rings.
  • Water bath can 1/2 pints for 10 minutes and pints for 15.
If you noticed I put 3 to 6 cups of sugar in the ingredients.  That is because the original recipe calls for 6 cups but I cut it down to 3 cups.  They are still plenty sweet for us but it is your choice on how you decide to make them.

I normally always have leftover brine.  There are all kinds of usages for the brine.  You can use it as a marinade on meat.  I love to can carrots in the brine.  I am going to try onions in it next week.  Which I will post at that time.

This is one of the most popular things I can.  Last year my jalapenos did not do well in the garden.  Well, nothing did well in my garden last year.  Hoping this year they will grow huge like they did 2 years ago.  

Enjoy!!

UPDATE:  I leave my seeds in but you can take them out for a milder taste. 

Comments

  1. Have you ever tried making these with honey instead of sugar as the sweetener? I am sort of against white sugar!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but I perfer using the sugar in the raw. If you sub honey out you do not use as much. For one cup sugar you use 1/2 to 2/3 cup of honey. I also never use the full amount of sugar in this recipe. I cut it down to 3 cups.

      Delete
  2. Do you do the lime soak with these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to soak in pickling lime you need to soak for 12 hours then rinse 3 times.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS