HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BONE BROTH FROM HOME

I use a ton of broths on a weekly basis.  One of the best things I have taught myself was how to make bone broth.  It is easy and fun.  All you need is some bones, onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, and water.   I keep my scraps from my vegetables and freeze them.  My poor rabbits do not like that fact because they loved the scraps.  I also freeze my bones till I am ready to make stock/broth.  To my husband's embarrassment, I even ask friends to save me their chicken bones or turkey bones.  



I normally cook my broth in my pressure cooker but you can do it in a large stock pot on the stove top.  

I can my broth but you can freeze or keep yours in the fridge if you plan on using it quickly.  



If you are using beef or venison bones you really need to roast them in the oven or on the grill.  This helps give you flavor and color.  Otherwise, chicken, turkey, pork, duck or ham bones are normally already cooked so you are good there.  

If you are going to do yours on the stove top I highly suggest for you to start with just the bones and if they have some meat attached all the better and cold water.  Do not bring to a hard boil because this will make your broth cloudy.  It will still be good.  Once you have had this going for about an hour you can add all the other ingredients.  Again do not bring to a hard boil.  You want to cook it down and strain it really well.

Now using the electric pressure cooker is even easier.  You just throw all your veggie scraps and bones along with the bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns, and the secret ingredient is apple cider vinegar.  Just use a tablespoon or so in your inner pot along with everything else.  I normally select the manual setting for 90 minutes, 4 different times.  I do NOT salt it, but if you wish to, wait until you are done straining.  If you put salt in while cooking it may end up with a salty broth.  

Once you make homemade broth you will never want to buy the junk from the stores again.  

Broth

Directions

Bones from chicken, turkey, pork, ham, venison beef
2 to 3 onions
2 to 3 celery stalks
2 to 3 carrots
2 or 3 bay leaves 
1 teaspoon thyme
1 to 2 T apple cider vinegar
cold water to cover your bones and veggies

Stovetop directions

Add bones and ACV with enough cold water to cover the bones by several inches in a stock pot
Bring to a simmer but not a hard boil
Let go for an hour or two then add 
After a couple of hours add the rest of the ingredients
Cook at least 6 hours
Strain out the solids
Cool completely
Remove the fat and you are ready to can, freeze or use soon

Instant Pot directions

Add everything with cool water and cook for 4 hours.  
Strain out the solids 
Cool completely 
Remove fat and you are ready to process by canning, freezing or putting in the fridge.

I can mine in the pressure canner.  If you do this please make sure you go by the instructions per your canner.   Pints you pressure can for 20 minutes and quarts for 25 minutes.

Honestly, you will never want to go back to buying the stuff from a store.  You will understand once you make one batch of broth.  You will never be able to buy the quality of what you can make at home.  I love the fact I am using scraps that most people would just toss out.  I bet once you are addicted to making your own broth you will be begging your friends to save their bones for you like I do.  

ACV is apple cider vinegar and it is truly the secret ingredient when making a bone broth or stock. The ACV helps to get all the good minerals out of the bones.  

ENJOY!!






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS