CORN SALAD ~ SOUTHERN STYLE WHEN IT IS STEAMY HOT OUTSIDE



I probably do my best when I sit down right after I have made something.  Believe me, I am not a writer, photographer or a trained chef.  I am just a Southern chick who loves to play around in the kitchen, in her herb and vegetable gardens.  

We have had a crazy spring here in NC.  We went from snow in mid to late March, tons of rain in April and then hot steamy scorching heat with no rain for a few weeks now in May.  Today brought us rain that will stick around for a few days.  I think it is due to an early tropical storm which is supposed to bring the temps back down from the 90's to the high 70's.  Yeah, it might cool it off some but it is really steamy outside.

During the hot hot days, I love to eat salads of every kind.  Panzanella, pasta salad, and even just a garden salad.   I love to cook out or as my husband calls it bbq.  HA, now that is a story.  Here in the south, we cook out.  A bbq is when you throw some pork butt on the grill.  

Last night Scott and I ate the last of the tortellini pasta salad.  I was happy because he loved it and asked me to make some more.  Today I made a greek tortellini salad with basil pesto tortellini.  I have to admit I like this one better than the one I made a couple of days ago but that is because I like this pasta better. 

I pretty much have a routine every day.  I wake up, fix Scott's breakfast, lunch, and coffee to go.  I clean up my kitchen, water the plants and feed the dog, cats, quail, and rabbits.  This normally takes a good 2 hours but today I was at it for 4 hours.  Sometimes I feel all I do is clean, cook to have to clean again to cook again, it is like a constant circle that I have to leap out of from time to time.  

As I was putting together the pasta salad I found a bag of frozen sweet corn in the freezer, well I think I was actually cooking and starting hunting for something and then got off task and started cleaning out the freezer.  Yep, I am a bit ADD like that but hey my freezer is cleaned out now.  Anyway, I found that bag of corn and it made me think about this awesome corn salad I had a few months back.  A lady at the church I grew up in had made it for a dinner that was given after my Daddy's funeral.  I had hoped to get that recipe but I never did so today looking at that bag of corn and being in the salad spirit I decided to make a corn salad.  I did not even research a recipe.  I just made it.  I already had half the ingredients out with making the pasta salad.  Why not, right?

I chopped up some grape tomatoes




... spring onions from the garden




... green pepper




... cucumber




... minced some garlic




... added the corn




... made a vinegarette




... mixed it all together



... allow to sit and then serve




Of course you can add anything you would wish.  I can not wait to make it with roasted corn on the grill but that will be a few months.  You can add cheese but I was going for something similar to what I had in March.  Like most salads you can have fun with it and make it your own.
Most salads are better if you allow them to sit several hours before serving.  I still had a bite to check out the taste.  It was pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

Tomorrow or the next day I am going to play around with these beauties.


.  

Well, the trees are blowing and the rain is coming down.  Happy Hump Day folks.  

ENJOY!!












Comments

  1. How about cornbread salad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not made that yet but you have mentioned it to me before. I need to do that soon. I just wanted to replicate what was served back in March.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS