PUT A LITTLE GREEK IN YOUR LIFE ~ YOGURT GREEK STYLE



Oh, my I am so excited!!!  I could hardly wait to get on here and write about Greek yogurt.  I know that sounds silly.  Maybe even a bit crazy but I am ecstatic over making Greek-style yogurt.   

Really it is no different than making normal yogurt.  BUT it is totally different.  I know that makes no sense but bare with me a few minutes and keep on reading.  


I want to say there is absolutely no reason why YOU can not make yogurt.  I still can not believe how scared I was to make it and how long I kept on putting it off.  All you need is an Instant Pot and a few ingredients.  


I use the no cook cold start method which is amazing and so simple.  


OK, let me back up a minute.  I started making yogurt just a few weeks ago.  Since then I decided I wanted to make Greek yogurt.  I mean let's get real you can use Greek yogurt in so many kinds of ways.  I needed a strainer though.  Not just any strainer would do for me.  I wanted the best or what I think is the best.  I ordered a Euro Cuisine Greek Yogurt Maker and just picked it up yesterday.  I have to admit due to being so frugal that I looked around a while for the best buy before purchasing mine.  I found mine online at Walmart and had it shipped to the store.  I saved $20 YES $20 by ordering it from there!!!  That is a chunk of change.





Honestly, this is just too simple to make.  All you need is 2 or 3 ingredients.  



Fairlife milk, 1 to 2 tablespoons starter (greek yogurt) and sweetened condensed milk.  Well, you do not have to use the sweetened condensed milk if you want a plain greek yogurt. That is why I said 2 or 3 ingredients.  Oh, and you have to have an Instant Pot.  I do not know how I lived without mine.  I have had friends say but we like to cook the old way.  Believe me, we do too.  Remember the cast iron collection we have?  Well, we have it for a reason and we use it a lot.  With an Instant Pot, you can do so much more.  I love playing with mine.  I remember my friend Mari saying she has 3!!  I thought at the time, WHAT!? Why in the world would one person need 3 of those things?  I seriously was shaking my head but now I GET IT!!!  I sure wish I got paid for everything I have mentioned and bragged about an Instant Pot.  I would be rich.

All you do is put the ingredients in your IP and stir really well.  Put your lid on and hit the yogurt button.  I adjust mine for 10 hours because I want it tart.  Eight hours is smooth, nine is getting tart and 10 is definitely stronger and much more tart.  This recipe is not a pressurized recipe.  You also want to make sure your setting is on normal.  Seriously this is all you do!  Bam 8 to 10 hours later you have yogurt!!  

However to make Greek yogurt you have to strain the liquid/whey from it.  That is where the strainer comes in.  Oh and do not throw out the whey.  You can use that for something.  I saved mine to help jump-start a lacto-ferment.  

I let my strain in the fridge overnight.  You do not have to go overnight though, you can do as little as 4 hours.  I wanted mine extra thick. 



 If it comes out too thick for you stir back in some of the whey.  This will thin it out some for you.


This is why I said bare with me and keep on reading.  Just look how incredibly thick mine came out.  My daughter came over early this morning to get some homemade black bean and corn salsa and to borrow my crockpot because she wanted to make crockpot salsa chicken for quesadillas tonight for dinner.  She also did not have taco seasoning so I whipped her up some.  She looked at my yogurt and told me how gross it looked.  HAHA, I will not say her exact words but she was very colorful with her description of my greek yogurt. What can I say I wanted mine thick.  

I hope you have enjoyed my excitement.  Just maybe you did not laugh at me.  Now go get your IP out and make yogurt.  If you do not have an IP go buy one.  If you do not want to go out to shop, get online and order one.  

Happy Friday my friends.  Hooray, it is the weekend.  What a weekend right?  Happy Mother's Day to everyone!!

ENJOY!!

Note: IP is acronym for Instant Pot.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS