EASY CROCK POT BLUEBERRY BUTTER



It is finally blueberry season.  I always look forward to picking my own blueberries from our bushes but it is a love-hate relationship.  I love them and I love cooking with them but it is full of hard, sweaty, bug bites, and just downright sticky work.  Between the darn mosquitos, birds, squirrels, and bunnies I really do not get many blueberries.  For the last 3 years, they have not been netted so I have to deal with those peaky varmints eating my big beautiful berries.  The birds for the last 2 years have been really nasty to me.  They literally dive bomb me for MY berries.  Yes, they are mine not there's but they think otherwise.  Then this year the squirrels have been munching away at them.  Thus, the love-hate relationship.  No one helps me pick them so it also gets very frustrating for me.  Every year people tell me how much they love blueberries but no one comes to help pick them.  I keep telling myself if I just get enough of them to make blueberry butter, blueberry jam, and lemon blueberry bread, I will be happy.  I think it will happen.  I have already made one run of blueberry butter and I have another cooking away in my crockpot now.  



Are you asking yourself yet, just what the heck is blueberry butter?  Well, it sure it not butter.  Has nothing to do with butter.  Nope, nothing.  Have you heard of apple butter?  Well, if you have then this is the same thing but with blueberries.  Well, technically my recipes are a bit different but the same idea.  If you have not heard of apple butter, well folks you are missing out on one of life's happier pleasures.  Fruit butters basically are whatever fruit, sugar, and cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.  Sometimes those spices are changed up a bit with allspice added.  I make a few different types of fruit butter, apple, pumpkin, peach, 
and blueberry.  



While this recipe is super easy, it is also a long drawn out process.  So, you have to have some time and bits of patience to make it.  You also need a crockpot/slow cooker.  Well, you could do it on the stove top and it would be quicker but it is so much easier to just throw everything in the crockpot and let it go for a while.  



First, you need to blend up the blueberries.  You can do this with a blender or a food processor.


Blending your berries makes them pretty ugly.  



Put the blueberry mixture in your crockpot along with sugar and your spices.



Mix it all up and cook it down.



It takes several hours for it to reduce.  It will look like this when you are done.




BLUEBERRY BUTTER


Ingredients
  • 6 cups pureed blueberries
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions
  • Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.  Cook on low for 10 hours, then cook on high with the lid ajar so that the mixture will cook down quickly.  
I normally can my blueberry butter, however, you also may keep it in the fridge.  

If you wish to can your blueberry butter do so in a water bath with sterilized jars for 10 minutes.

ENJOY!!




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS