HOW TO CAN CRANBERRY JUICE THE EASY WAY



Last summer I came across an easy recipe to make cranberry juice.  You do not need a lot of ingredients but you do have to have cranberries.  Here in NC we only have them available fresh and that is around Thanksgiving time and Christmas.  


I was fortunate to buy some at a good price but after Christmas, they were so cheap that I stocked up.  You can not go wrong with a quarter a bag, right?  We did not have a lot of room in our freezers but I still had about 20 bags.  If I had more room I would have bought a lot more and froze them.  


First I made them with fresh berries but I also had run out of room on my canning shelves so I froze the other bags.  My first batch was in November.  The second was in February and I made more on Friday.  


I had to make more because someone drank a lot of my quart jars a week ago Sunday.  Had to replenish my stash.  


As you guys know I prefer simple recipes.  The easier the better.  Less ingredients even the better.  


You do not need a lot of this recipe.  Sugar and cranberries (mine are thawed).




Boiling water



and some lemon juice


You need to sterilize your jars and I do that by boiling them in water. 


Once the jars are finished take them out and add 1/4 cup of sugar per quart.


Next add 1 to 1 1/2 cups cranberries


Add boiling water and lemon juice.  Place your lids and rings on your jar.


Put each jar in your boiling water bath


For 25 minutes


Once done take them out and allow them to cool.

You need to wait at least 6 weeks before opening a jar to drink.  If your sugar does not melt quickly do not be concerned because it will melt in the next 6 weeks. 

Everyone that has tried my cranberry juice loves it.  It is just sweet enough.  I am not really into syrupy drinks.  Most juices I add half water to before drinking, so this is just right for me, but you can add more sugar if you desire.

When you open a jar you have some really nice juicy berries leftover.  Do not toss them out.  Seriously good eats left in the berries.  I use them for Scott's Greek yogurt.  If you dry them out you can dehydrate them.  They are also great in oatmeal, steel cut oatmeal and even quinoa.  

Quirky fact:  It is 6 months till Christmas.

ENJOY!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS