JAMAICAN JERK SAUCE


A few years ago Scott ordered a bunch of different pepper seeds. I thought he was a bit crazy because we were already were growing tons of hot hot hot peppers.  However, out of what he bought and we grew there was one we fell in love, the MOA (Minster of Agriculture) Scotch Bonnet.  It also was the most prolific pepper plant we had that season.  Meaning I had tons upon tons of these peppers.  Which meant I had to find something to do with all these peppers.  

On the Scoville scale, the scotch bonnet is between 100,000 and 350,000 which is similar to the Habanero pepper.  Before we had scotch bonnet peppers I loved canning and cooking with habaneros but once these peppers came into my life I could care less about a habanero. Both have a nice fruity flavor but the scotch bonnet is sweeter.  Their sweetness truly compliments Caribbean cooking.  It is something about the nutmeg and allspice in so many of their recipes that enhances the flavor of the scotch bonnet pepper.  

I did a lot of research on various Caribbean recipes and decided to make Jerk Sauce.  Jerk sauce is has a huge importance in Jamaican cooking.  The term Jerk comes from the Spanish word meaning dried meat.  Slaves in Jamaica came up with this sauce or dry rub back in the mid-1600's.  Traditionally this is used on pork but it is by far my favorite marinade for chicken.  Do not get me wrong, it is good on pork but I love it better on chicken. I have heard it is really good on fish but I had not used it on fish yet.    

Since I started making this about 3 years ago it has really drawn quite the attention from our friends.  One of our friends said he loves it but just can not make it taste good as we do when we grill out.  Well, the trick to that is how long you marinade it and also applying more as you grill.  Or heck, once finished cooking put it back in some marinade. 

This recipe makes around 3 cups.  I normally double or triple it when making it. You can keep it in the fridge but I can it.  That way I have it available at any time.

I used my last jar on Sunday, boo who... well not really I have tons of Scotch bonnet peppers frozen so of course, I had to make more.  

JAMAICAN JERK SAUCE

Ingredients
  • 5 green onions
  • 5 sprigs of fresh thyme 
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 scotch bonnet peppers
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Directions
  • Chop your scallions, scotch bonnet peppers, garlic, onion and thyme in a food processor
  • Add the above mix to a blender along with all other ingredients
If canning you will need to heat your sauce to a boil then allow to simmer for 5 minutes.  Sterilize your jars and get your hot water bath ready.  Ladle the jerk sauce into your sterilized jars and process for 20 minutes in pint jars.

If you wish to keep it in the fridge you are done once you get the consistency you want from the blender process.

NOTE:  Remember the pepper is hot but if you wish to cut some of the heat level take the seeds out.  This will help reduce the hot steamy heat of this recipe.  Also if you do not have fresh thyme you can use 1/2 tablespoon of dried thyme.

I promise as soon as I make more, probably next week I will update with pictures.  

In the meant time ENJOY!!



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS