DIVINE CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA



This recipe was given to me by a friend.  I am sure it is good by the recipe but you guys know me, right?  I had to go and change it up to make it even better.  Well, in my humble opinion better.  

By no means at all is this a diet friendly recipe.  It is loaded with fat.  Tons of it but you can always attempt to make it healthy but why when it is perfect just like I make it?  See the end on how to substitute some ingredients to make it lower in fat.   

Scott literally has set and gorged himself until he was sick on this dish.  I made it last year for his birthday.  I had made it a few times before but since I knew he liked it and I wanted him to have something really good for his birthday, I made it for him.  

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a few pictures as I was making it.  One of the most important steps for some reason either did not get a picture made or I accidentally deleted it.  

The first step is to cut your chicken into bite-size pieces and shake a good amount of cajun seasoning on the pieces and place it in a bag and allow it to marinate for several hours.  I normally do this first thing in the morning and then keep it in the fridge until the evening.  If you are using raw shrimp you will want to do the same with the shrimp.  I normally use raw but this time I was thought I would see if it makes a difference in taste.

Cut up some mushrooms and onion to saute with the chicken.  If using raw shrimp I cook it separately and take it out of the pan to add back in at the very end.


An important ingredient is sun-dried tomatoes.  These were some I had made myself but if you use some that come in oil use the oil for cooking your shrimp.  The oil really gives this dish a great flavor.  Chop the sun-dried tomatoes up before adding them to your dish.


Garlic is also a MUST.  Please do use fresh garlic cloves that you mince yourself.  The difference in taste is well worth the time to mince your cloves.  



Add your garlic and tomatoes to your chicken, mushrooms, and onions.



I like to do my sauce in a different pot before adding it to the chicken dish.  This helps for you to get it thicker.  The sauce is a carton of heavy cream, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, pepper and garlic salt.  Allow it to reduce.  If you are in a hurry you can thicken with a cornstarch slurry.   


I do not allow it to thicken as much as I want because I want it to finish in my pan with the chicken mixture. 


Combine it with the chicken mixture and allow to thicken and finish cooking.


At this time I added the shrimp since it was already cooked.  I did add some cajun seasoning to the cooked shrimp. If you are using raw shrimp that you have already cooked you will add it at this time as well.


Look at how delicious this dish looks?


I normally serve it over some type of pasta.  This time Scott had made Cacio e Pepe which made it even better.  Of course, that adds way more fat but dang it was good.  If you do not know what Cacio e Pepe is you need to learn.  It is pasta made with a sauce of butter, parmesan, and pepper.  



Honest to goodness this is restaurant quality goodness made at home.  It is not a quick recipe.  So, when you decide to make it pour a glass of wine and turn on some music because you are going to be in the kitchen for a little while.  

CAJUN CHICKEN AND SHRIMP PASTA

Ingredients
  • 2 chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 lb of shrimp
  • Carton of mushrooms sliced
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic minced
  • 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 carton of heavy whipping cream
  • fresh basil minced or dried basil to taste
  • 8 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • Pinch of pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Directions
  • Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle liberally with cajun seasoning. Sprinkle shrimp with cajun seasoning as well.  Put chicken in a bag and shrimp in a separate bag and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours.  
  • Chop onions and slice mushrooms. 
  • Warm your skillet and add cold butter and olive oil.  Add onions and mushrooms and saute.  Take out of the pan when done.
  • Saute seasoning chicken until brown not totally cooked.
  • Chop up sun-dried tomatoes and mince garlic, add this in with the chicken and put the mushrooms and onions back into the pan.  
  • If you are using raw shrimp saute separately.  If you have oil from the sun-dried tomatoes add some oil in with your raw shrimp for flavor.  
  • In a separate saucepan add heavy whipping cream, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, garlic salt, basil, and pepper.  Allow to thicken and reduce.
  • Add sauce in with the chicken mixture and allow the chicken to finish cooking in the sauce.  Add your red pepper flakes at this time.
  • Make whatever pasta you wish to serve your cajun chicken and shrimp on.  
  • About 2 minutes before serving add shrimp back into the pan.  
I have served it with penne pasta before.  When I use penne I just add it to the entire dish and mix it together.  If you are using spaghetti or linguine you can either mix it all together or serve it on top of the pasta.  

If you want to be truly decadent you will make this dish.  It is lip-smacking good.  It is awesome served with some crusty bread so you can sop up all the goodies left on your bowl.  A garden salad is a nice addition to round out the meal.  

This is honestly a recipe that you must try.  You will not be sorry.  

If you want to make it healthy, substitute the heavy whipping cream for fat-free half and half.  Do not use butter and reduce the amount of olive oil you are using.  Use a low-fat version of cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese.  Another option is using spaghetti squash in place of your pasta.  

I can not beg you enough to try this recipe.  

NOTE:  Shrimp is optional

ENJOY!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS