HOW TO FREEZE ZUCCHINI



If you have been reading my posts lately you know I have had an abundance of zucchini.  I have made all types of recipes using zucchini.  I have mentioned shredded zucchini often and also mentioned freezing it.  It really is so simple and a great way to have it at a later date.  



While it is so nice to have my plants producing as much as they are I have had to figure out ways to use things.  I also wanted to preserve some zucchini so I can use them later when I no longer have any fresh ones.  

You can freeze zucchini either in chunks or by shredding it.  I chose to shred mine due to the recipes I figured I would want to use later in the fall or even winter.  



Wash your zucchini really well.  You want to get all the dirt off.  If you are going to freeze larger zucchini make sure you scoop out the seeds.  Especially if you are shredding it.  Shredded zucchini is mainly for quick bread such as Lemon Blueberry Zucchini or Cinnamon Zucchini Bread.  Chunks or cubes are great for casseroles or stews.  


You can freeze summer squash in cubes as well.  Just follow the same steps.

I pack mine into 2 or 3 cup freezer bags.  Make sure you get all the air out as possible.  

Some say to blanch it but that is a lot of work and I have found just processing how you want it and then spooning into bags works just as well.

Do not forget to label what is in your freezer bags.  At the time of freezing, you think you will remember but there have been times I could not remember what was in a bag or how much I put in the bag.  I always label the content, the size and date my freezer bags.

A good tip is to flatten out your bags and freeze them this way.  Layer them in a single layer until frozen.  Then you can move them about as you need to.  This step really helps with freezer space and storage.  

ENJOY!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS