LEXINGTON STYLE BBQ SAUCE ~ AKA DIP



Scott makes an awesome Boston pork butt.  By awesome I mean we rub our butt with a special homemade rub that I came up with a few years back.  This rub is very versatile and can be used on ribs, chicken, pork roasts, and well, just about anything.  We allow the Boston Butt to sit in the fridge for a few hours before he throws it on the Big Green Egg.   However, growing up near Lexington, NC you learn early that the dip is what makes your pulled pork.  Well, along with some banging red slaw.  

I can go buy some Scott's bbq sauce but why when I can make my own?  I say Scott's because it is my favorite pre-made store bought bbq sauce.  FYI, in case you do not know, Lexington or Carolina style dip is a vinegar and ketchup sauce.  It is not like Sweet Baby Rays.  This sauce is strong on vinegar.  Another thing about dip in NC we will fight over which is the best.  Meaning, we have an eastern style sauce and then we have Lexington style dip.  Yep, we call it dip.   

It took me a while to adjust this recipe to what I wanted but it is adapted from an Allrecipe recipe.  


Gather the ingredients.



Boil the apple cider vinegar.



In the meantime, chop a small onion.




Chop your peppers and garlic.



Add everything to the vinegar and bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.





LEXINGTON STYLE BBQ DIP

Ingredients
  • 4 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 2 to 4 hot peppers
  • 4 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
  • 4 cloves minced fresh garlic
  • 1 tablespoon pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
  • 2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons white ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
Directions
  • Pour vinegar into a saucepan and bring to boil.
  • Add all other ingredients.
  • Bring back to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. 
  • Cook 30 minutes.
Please remember this is not a thick sauce so you are not going to boil it down to thicken it.  It is supposed to remain thin and runny.  

You may keep this in the fridge if you wish.  It will keep for a month or maybe longer.  I make this by doubling or tripling it and then I can my sauce.  

I have used all types of peppers.  My favorites are habaneros or scotch bonnet peppers.  However, I have cranked up the heat and have made it with ghost peppers and even Carolina reapers.  You can mind it down if you wish with jalapenos.  You can even just use chili powder and cayenne for heat.

ENJOY!!  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS