THE BEST BLUEBERRY JAM EVER WITH NO PECTIN



I just got back in from picking blueberries.  Well, just as in about 2 hours ago.  I get out early because if I do not it is just way too hot and humid to be outside doing that kind of stuff.




I was on the phone with my mom earlier also, and I told her I had posted the Blueberry Butter recipe.  She told me she saw it and said a girl she works with asked her how to make blueberry jam.  Oh goodness, gracious, I told her that I had the BEST recipe ever.  Plus, it is a no-pectin recipe making it cheaper and well frankly better because you do not use as much sugar so the blueberry taste is stronger.  I told her if she would give me a few minutes I would post the recipe on my blog and her friend could go to my blog to get my recipe. 

I have been using this recipe for about 7 years now and I found it to be the best.  I have tried others but honestly, I like the no-pectin recipe the best.  I have 2 other recipes and I can post those as well.  One uses lemon jello and the other uses a box of pectin.  What people do not realize is the fact most fruit has a good amount of nature pectin but you have to cook it a bit longer to allow the natural pectin to do its magic.  So, why waste money on pectin if you do not have to do so?

As I mentioned in the blueberry butter post, the birds, squirrels, and bunnies are totally enjoying the blueberries this summer.  I am getting what I need so I am good with it.  I know you might not realize but it is hard work going out and picking on a daily basis.  The fur varmints and the bloodsucking ones take a toll on my sympathies.  

You do not need a lot of ingredients.  You need blueberries, sugar, lemon peel and bottled lemon juice.  

You will need 6 cups blueberries.  



Put half of them in your large saucepan and crush them with a potato masher.



Zest your lemon.


Add zest, lemon juice, sugar, and the rest of the blueberries to the saucepan.


Mix it all together.


I normally have my stove on a 4 until the sugar starts to dissolve and then I crank up the heat to a 6.  You want to bring the jam to a rolling boil and allow it to go for 10 to 15 minutes.


Giving your jam the time to boil will bring out the natural pectin which allows your jam to gel. 

Pour into sterilized jars with lids and rims.  Water bath for 10 minutes for jelly jars and 15 for pints.



BLUEBERRY JAM

Ingredients
  • 6 cups blueberries 
  • 1/4 cup bottle lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
Directions
  • Add 3 cups blueberries to saucepan and crush
  • Add the rest of your berries along with lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar
  • Bring to a rolling boil and allow it to boil for 10 to 15 minutes
  • Pour into sterilized jars, put on lids and rims
  • Water bath for 10 minutes for jelly jars and 15 for pints

ENJOY your Sunday!!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS