BEYOND WONDERFUL SALSA FOR CANNING


The Cristina household loves salsa.  I have tons of varieties but my plain ole salsa is a winner.  It is so delicious.  I can sit down and eat an entire jar all by myself if I am not careful.   Yes, I am telling you it is that GOOD!!  


When we got back from Key Largo, my tomatoes were just coming in and I had quite a bit to do something with.  I did not have the time with all the unpacking still left to do to make marinara so I opted for salsa.  I was down to my last jar so I need to make more.  I normally inventory my canned goods and make a list of what I am out of or close to being out of and do my canning accordingly.

This recipe is so good and I love the fact I grew my own green peppers, jalapenos, and poblanos to go in my salsa.  This recipe is super easy.  You do not need a ton of ingredients.  Tomatoes, onions, green pepper, jalapenos, salt, vinegar, garlic, tomato paste and tomato sauce.  Yep, that is it...except for some cumin.  Plus after you chop and dice up everything all you do is throw all the ingredients in a pot together and allow to cook down. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dice up tomatoes and toss them into a large enough pot for everything.



Dice onions




Chop green peppers or poblanos 



Chop some jalapenos




Then add all the peppers together and finely chop.


Add minced garlic



Add salt 


Cumin



You need some tomato paste and sauce.  I normally have my own of both but was out.



Add everything together in a large pot.



All to cook down and voila you have an amazing tasting salsa.  You can make it as chunky or smooth as you wish.  You can add as much cumin as you want.  You can switch up the amount of jalapenos with the green peppers to make it hotter.  You do need to keep with the amounts of each veggie in order to make it safe to can.  

BEYOND WONDERFUL SALSA


Ingredients
  • 8 cups tomatoes
  • 2 cups onions
  • 1 1/2 cup bell peppers or poblano peppers
  • 1/2 cup jalapenos
  • 6 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 to 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons canning salt
  • 2/3 cup vinegar
  • 1 15 to 16 ounce can of tomato sauce
  • 12 ounces of tomato paste
Directions
  • Chop tomatoes, onions, all peppers and mince your garlic.
  • Add all to a large pot.
  • Add all other ingredients to the pot.
  • Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer.  Allow simmering to the consistency you desire.
  • Sterilize 8 to 9 pints jars.
  • Ladle salsa into pint jars, seal with lids and rings to finger tightness.
  • Put pint jars into boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.
  • When time is up cut off heat and allow to sit for an additional 10 minutes.
  • Allow sitting on your counter for 24 hours.  All jars should seal during this time period.
The great thing about this recipe is you can make it as hot as you want or as mild as you would enjoy.  All you have to do is switch up the kinds of peppers.  Just stick to 2 cups of peppers and it still will be safe for canning.

You may also chop and mince things to your desire. You can make a super chunky salsa by leaving your tomatoes, onions and peppers larger.  Or you can chop your veggies up smaller for a smoother salsa.  

Same with the cumin, if you want it with more cumin you can add as your tastes likes.  Cumin does not change anything with the recipe so you do not have to worry about the amount you use.  Heck you can even leave it out.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS