HOW TO MAKE COMPOUND BUTTER


Do you like to add flavor to your food but maybe do not know how?  There are many ways to pack a punch in your food.  One is using herbs.  Two, believe it or not, salt.  Three, garlic and four being another way, would be using compound butter.  


I know nowadays people are trying to watch what they eat and put into their bodies but did you know butter is better for you than margarine?  When used correctly, butter is good for you.  Now, this does not mean you need to use stick after stick in your cooking.  

I started playing around and making compound butter several years ago.  It is so easy to make and the mixtures you can come up with is only limited by your imagination. You can make herb butter, savory style butter, fruit butter or spice style butter.  


I can not say how easy this is to make.  People pay a lot of money to buy compound butter.  OK, if you have no clue what I am talking about, have you ever ordered a steak that came topped with herbed butter?  Well, this is basically what you are getting and paying a large price for.  Have you ever seen herbed butter or a fruit butter in your refrigerated section of the grocery store?  Yeah, you can buy it but why not whip up your own and be able to make it to your taste?  I haven't even mentioned the cost savings.  Plus, you can add anything into butter that you wish.  Now, is that not awesome?  

I have made blueberry butter, no I am not talking about something like apple butter.  Which by the way I make that too.  I am talking about using real butter and mixing it with some very ripe blueberries.  You can do the same with strawberries or any other fruit you enjoy.  Spreading some on a warm piece of toast, biscuit or bagel is simply delicious.  


Jalapeno lime, parsley, parmesan, Thai basil, lemon dill, parmesan garlic, and oregano basil garlic,  are some different savory compound butter you can make. 

Cinnamon sugar, pumpkin spice, apple spice, honey butter, maple butter, and even cinnamon raisin.  Those are only naming a few of the sweet style ones.


Seriously you can add just about anything into butter.  You can blend several different things in as well.  Just whatever you think would be good is a great way to start.  


I personally love adding several things to have a more complex compound butter.  


Are you asking how to use it?  Well, any dang way you wish.  Steak.  Chicken. Pasta,  A sautee base.  Bread. Bagels.  English muffins.  Popcorn.  Fish.  Scallops.  Shrimp.  Are you getting the picture? 

Compound butter means butter mixed with something.  Which means you need butter.  Do not and I mean do NOT use margarine for this because it is a waste of time and effort.  


You can use salted butter but I prefer to use unsalted because I like to control the sodium we eat.  Allow your butter to soften by putting it on the counter for a few hours until it becomes room temperature.  This is an important step because you need it soft so you can mix it your ingredients.  

I am fortunate that I have a Kitchenaide mixer that Scott bought me several years ago for Christmas.  However, you can use a hand mixer.  


Add the butter to a bowl.


At this point, all you have to do is add in your chosen ingredients and blend.


Once combined you have a nice compound butter.


Wrap it in some parchment or wax paper.

COMPOUND BUTTER

Ingredients
  • 1 stick of butter - softened
  • 1 tablespoon your choice ingredient
Directions:  Soften butter, add whatever ingredient(s) you wish and combine.  Place on parchment paper and form into a roll or square, wrap.  Keep in the fridge or freeze.  

If you are adding more then one ingredient you may wish to divide the tablespoon equally.  If adding garlic you can add 1 to 3 cloves.  Roasted garlic is a great addition.  

The two I have made lately are honey butter


and Basil Garlic


I plan on making Thai basil butter in the next day or two.  The temperature is getting ready to dip low so I need to use what herbs I have left in my herb garden.  I will update to post that picture once I have it made.  

ENJOY!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS