CRANBERRY JALAPENO JAM


I Love the holidays.  It gives me an excuse to cook and try new or make new recipes. I made Maple Bacon Jam this week.  It is really good!  I have a few bags of cranberries left my fridge and I wanted to make a hot pepper jam with them.  I figured on cream cheese it would be a nice appetizer during the holidays.  For some reason, cranberries call in the holidays for me.

I was really amazed at how quickly this recipe came together.  I do not know if it's just a really easy recipe with few ingredients or if it is the fact we figured out my front element on the stove was not working properly and we had to replace it.  I think it has to do with all the canning I do on that eye and it bent the prong that hooks in.  Oh well, we have it fixed now and I am back to being amazed at how quickly things are now heating up.

If you read my blog you know I love quick and easy recipes.  I also love having people at my table.  It just makes me feel happy and complete to serve a meal to friends that are now are like family.  

This is so simple that anyone could and can make it.  All you need is a bit of sugar, a bag of cranberries, jalapenos, lime juice and a box of sure jell.  Yep, it is that simple.  Some are afraid of making jam or jellies but it is simple.  It does not take a rocket scientist to make some and what a nice gift to give to a friend, family or a neighbor?  

Pour a 12-ounce bag of cranberries into a strainer and wash. Once this step is done add the cranberries into a medium size pot.  

Take a few jalapenos and chop them up.



Add apple cider vinegar, along with water, sugar and chopped jalapenos to the cranberries.  



Isn't it pretty?

Allow this to boil which will cause the cranberries to pop open.  Once this has happened mash you cranberries up.



Bring the mix to a rolling boil and add the pectin (sure jell).  Bring to another hard boil and allow to boil precisely one minute.  Do not overdo this step because it will cause a harder jelly/jam.   Yes, I have had this happen.  A solution to this problem is when you open a jar warm it in the microwave or in a pot of warm water on the stove.  This will soften the jelly or jam.



If you do not have a canning pot you can use a large deep pot.  Fill this with water that will cover your jars by one inch.  Bring water to a boil as you are making your jelly.  Put your jars in the water and this will sterilize them.  



Boil for 10 minutes for half pints (jelly jars) or 15 minutes for pints.  My mama use to just fill the jars and skip the water boiling method.  I am not saying to do that but some still use this practice.  I prefer to water boil my jellies and jams. 

Jalapeno Cranberry Jam
  • 12 ounces cranberries
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 chopped jalapenos
  • 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 box of sure he'll
Directions
  • Chop jalapenos
  • Add cranberries, jalapenos, water, sugar, apole cider vinegar to a medium sized pot.  Bring to a rolling boil. Add pectin and bring back to rolling boil for one minute.  
  • Pour into sterilized jars.  Add kids and rims.
  • Water bath process half pints for 10 minutes or pints for 15 minutes.


This is a beautiful jam.  Perfect for the holidays or on a snowy day.    

I sit here looking out the window at the bleak gray clouds with my coffee and Scott is out hunting this morning.  I am trying to use the quiet morning to play catch up on some blog stuff.  It is hard to not have your own computer to use.  Well, the forecast is for some type of wintry mix coming in maybe today or tomorrow.  Which makes me want to cook nice warm comfort foods to take the chili off your soul.  I hope for a good snow.  I have a corned beef out to cook for later.  Yep, again the warm comfort food is calling me.  

ENJOY your day.






Comments

  1. This sounds so good! Do you have quantities for the vinegar, water and sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Julie, I just saw this. I have updated it to include the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS