CREOLE BLACK EYE PEAS ~ PRESSURE CANNED


I love the fact I am able to can beans or peas from a dried package.  It is such a great feeling to know exactly what is in your food.  

Since today is New Year's Day, I decided to post this recipe.  After all, in the South, you eat black eye peas on New Year's Day.  Of course, that is not all you eat but it is one of the things you are suppose to eat.  I am not taking a chance and not having my black eye peas today.

I found this recipe a few years back and thought to myself, why not give it a try.  In all fairness, I must say this recipe came from a blog called, Putting Up With Erin.  Her blog is a wonderful place to visit and honestly has inspired me in a lot of my own canning adventures.  Obviously, this recipe is a keeper since I am still using it today. I did make 2 small adjustments from her recipe.  I omitted the bay leaves.  I personally find if you can with bay leaves it is over-powering.  I also chose to omit salt and use Tony Chachere Creole seasoning.  

CREOLE BLACK EYE PEAS

Make 6 pints

Ingredients
  • 1lb package of dried black eye peas
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 3/4 cup bell pepper diced
  • 6 teaspoons Tony Chachere Creole seasoning
  • 3/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke
  • 3/4 teaspoon of hot sauce
  • Boiling water to fill jars
Directions
  • Rinse and soak black eye peas overnight.
  • Sterilize 6-pint jars.
  • Prepare the water bath by heating water to boil.
  • Rinse black eye peas again.
  • Prepare each jar by adding 2/3 cup of black eye peas, 1/8 cup diced onions, 1/8 cup diced bell pepper, 1 teaspoon of Creole seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon of liquid smoke and 1/8 teaspoon of hot sauce.  
  • Fill each jar with boiling water leaving 1 inch of headspace.  Wipe down the rims of your jars and add lids and rings to figure time.
  • Process in a pressure canner per the instructions and elevation for 75 minutes. 
  • Once the 75 minutes is up, cut off heat and allow the pressure to come to zero.  Once the pressure is at zero wait another 10 minutes to remove the jars from your canner.  
  • Once removed all jars should seal in the next 24 hours.  
It is extremely important that you follow the guidelines per your canner.  

If you like things spicy you can add more hot sauce per jar.

The first time I made this recipe, I only made 6 pints, which the recipe is for.  I did this because I was unsure if we would like them.  They are simply delicious and since that time I now double the recipe.  

Happy New Year's to all and ENJOY!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS