IT'S NOT YOUR MAMA'S MACARONI SALAD


Let me start by explaining the title of this entry. I have never been a huge fan of macaroni salad.  Yep, I just admitted that.  Well, it's true.  I don't know why because here in the south it is a staple at all kinds of get-togethers.   I mean seriously there is always potato salad and macaroni salad.  I think it goes back to family reunions.  It was always there and we had our family reunions on the 4th Sunday of June every year.   Think about that.  June is flippin hot.  While having a cool meal is the best in hot weather it is not when you are having your reunion at Smoot Park picnic style. That is just asking for people to get sick.  Mayo and heat just do not go together.  About a year ago I decided to make some.  It was kind of a fluke for me to make.  We were having people over for a cookout.  That's a BBQ to ya'll in the North.  AND BBQ to us in the south is pork butt.  I was scrambling to make sure we had enough food for everyone.  As I was looking into the cabinets I saw I had the fixins for macaroni salad.   So why not, right? Well, it went over pretty darn well considering there wasn't an elbow noodle left. My daughter even liked it.  Which really is surprising.  The trick though is using sour cream mixed with the mayonnaise.  So as I said this is NOT your mama's macaroni salad. 

It is so easy to whip together, though for it to be really good you need to allow it to sit in your fridge preferably overnight.

There are 3 main things I have found that is important when making this type of salad.  One under no circumstances overcook the elbow noodles.  Who wants to eat mushy pasta?  I sure do not.  Make sure you cook it al dente.  That is another thing about us Southern folks, we overcook our pasta.  YUCK!!!   As I mentioned before use half mayo and half sour cream it is so much better.  The last one is to make sure you drain that pasta really well.  If you don't you will have a soupy macaroni salad.

The fun thing about making this side dish is you really can customize it to your taste.  I like using, a melody of sweet peppers, onion, cucumbers, celery, carrots, and some cheese.  I prefer red onions or spring onions because they are a bit spicier.  

IT'S NOT YOUR MAMA'S MACARONI SALAD

Ingredients

  •  1 box of elbow noodles
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream 
  • 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper diced
  • 1 to 2 carrots diced
  • 2 stalks celery sliced
  • 1 English cucumber cubed
  • 1/2 red onion diced
  • 1/c cup sharp cheddar cheese cubed
Directions
  • Cook elbow noodles per box directions.
  • Mix together the mayonnaise and sour cream forming a dressing.
  • As the pasta cooks slice, dice, and cube all your other ingredients.
  • Drain pasta and allow to cool.  Once cool add the dressing and combine well.  Then mix in the rest of the ingredients. 
You can eat this right away but honestly, if you can make this dish a day ahead of time it is so much better.

I hope you will give this a try.  If you do please come back and post a picture and your comments.

ENJOY!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS