EASY BUT DELICIOUS CEVICHE RECIPE


Here in the South, it is rather warm.  As in it is hot, steamy, and sticky outside.  No Southern lady should be seen a sweaty mess.  So, that means you have to stay inside at the hottest part of the day.  Yes, right, huh?  That is almost impossible when you have everything that we have going on around our house.  Which means this heat that has set into the area is probably here to stay.  I do not know about you but when it gets this hot the last thing I want is something hot to eat.  A cool salad or a light meal seems more pleasing to the palette.  Which leads us to a quantum of what to fix that has protein but cool to the taste.  Why not some ceviche?  I mean come on you can not get a better light but cool meal that will fill you with all kinds of nutrients for your body.

If you have been reading my blog, you know a few things about me by now.  If you have not, you need to go back and catch up.  But, I will let you cheat if you promise to go back and read some of my delicious, quick, easy and maybe even simple recipes.  Oh wait, there is one thing about me.  I like quick, easy, and simple.  I normally want recipes that I do not have to collect a thousand ingredients and better yet I probably already have on hand.  Which leads us to another thing about me, I tend to have quite a bit of herbs and spices on hand.  Another thing about me is, I did not learn to cook until I was in my 20's.  I mean really cook.  Not open up a can of tuna or boil some ramen noodles.  Now that I love to cook, I quite frankly love to cook.  I love creating and playing with recipes.  I love searching the internet for new ideas then making it my own.  That is why so many times in my posts I will tell you to remember to make it per your taste or your families.  There is no right or wrong with a recipe when it is in your kitchen being served to your peeps.  The last thing about me, believe it or not, I do have a fear or terror of the unknown when cooking.  Sometimes I will allow that to rule me and not make a recipe or meal.  How ridiculous, right?  With that said this is one of those recipes.  Which is utterly outlandishly stupid.  This is such a simple dish to make.  You can not mess it up.   You heard me you can not mess this up.  For some unknown reason, I thought I might "overcook" t his with the lime juices but seriously you can not do that.  

If you do not know what ceviche is or like me, have a hard time even pronouncing it, let me educate you a bit.  Ceviche is a fish based (Normally) dish that is "cooked" by marinating the fish in a citrus-based mixture.  This process is called denatured which means the citric acid causes the proteins to appear cooked.  By no means is the fish or seafood cooked.  Citrus acid will not kill bacteria or parasitic worms that heat will.  Do not let that scare you off.  Allow it to educate you and allow you to remember to choose your fish wisely.  Fresher the better.  Or purchased from a trustworthy source.  I am not saying you can not use frozen fish when making this but I am saying just remember to pick wisely.  

This recipe you can really add whatever you wish in it.  Some people add avocados, mangos or even sweet pepper.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I am probably setting myself up by saying that because tradition ceviche should be fish, citrus juice, onion, some type of chili pepper and cilantro.  Again, I am not saying my recipe is a traditional Peruvian dish.  


I chose to use Mahi Mahi.  I find this particular choice to be light and not too fishy tasting.  All you have to do is cut your fish into bite-size pieces.  People tend to forget what a bit size is and I am just as guilty as anyone.  You do not want a huge piece of fish when you take a bit because you want to be able to enjoy the other ingredients.  



Juice your fruit.  You want enough lime, lemon or even orange juice to cover your fish.


Look at how the fish looks before you add your citrus juice.  It is raw so it looks raw.


This is what it looks like after you add the citrus juice.  It appears cooked.  Once you have the fish cut into small pieces add the citrus juice and allow to marinate.  


Since the fish is denaturated and not cooked really the time frame in which you allow the fish to marinate is up to you.  Some might disagree with me but you are not truly cooking the fish.  However, I do suggest to allow it to sit in the citrus juices for at least an hour.  

While the fish is denatured cut up whatever you are using in your ceviche.  I chose to use onion, jalapeno, tomato, and cilantro.


After your fish is ready, mix all the ingredients together.


You can not go wrong on how you eat this.


It is good over a salad.  Or with chips.  

You also can not go wrong with the type of onions you chose.  I tend to use a lot of red/purple onion or spring onion for the added punch it brings to a dish.  

We prefer freshly squeezed lime juice.  I have used a mix of lemon and lime but again we found the flavor more pleasing with just lime.  Please use whatever citrus fruit you want to use.  You can even use orange if you wish.

EASY BUT DELICIOUS CEVICHE

Ingredients
  • 1 pound fish without skin and bones
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup citrus juice 
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, squeeze seeds out and chop
  • 1/2 purple onion, dice
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 to 2 jalapenos, dice
  • pinch of sea salt or garlic salt
Directions
  • Cut your fish into bite-sized pieces, place into a small bowl.
  • Squeeze citrus juice and pour over fish, making sure all is covered.  Allow marinating for at least an hour.  
  • While the fish is denaturing, chop and dice all of your other ingredients.
  • Add your veggie mix to the fish mixture and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt or I like using garlic salt for the flavor and serve.  
This dish is made to fix and go straight to the table.  However, I will admit it is good the next day as leftovers or to top a salad with.  

As I mentioned above I have had a really hard time pronouncing Ceviche from the time I first had it in my mid 20's served right off the boat with conch.  Let me help you pronounce it correctly.  My name is Selena.  If you start saying ceviche with the first sound of my name Su, then think of beach but with a v (veach), and end it with an A sound you have it nailed.  

This is Memorial Day weekend.  It is the start of summer and of cookouts and many outdoor gatherings.  However, REMEMBER the true reason for this holiday.  It is not about the above.  It is about remembering and honoring the military personnel that gave their lives for our right to Freedom and liberty.  The ones that did not come home are the ones we are honoring and paying homage to.  We are all guilty of forgetting this fact.  So, remember to explain to the younger generation what this holiday is truly about and for.  Otherwise, our great nation is at risk of forgetting some of the most important lessons in life.  

I will end this solemn post with ENJOY and DO NOT FORGET THE REASON FOR THIS HOLIDAY.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS