DEERLICIOUS MINI MEATLOAVES




These little darlings have been made in my kitchen for about 7 years.  I came across something similar to this recipe online and decided to make it.  Since then, I have really made it my own and I have to admit it is really darn good.  With that said this is made with ground venison, deer meat.  Not to toot my own horn but I have yet to have someone not like this recipe. Which says a lot because a lot of people will not try or do not like deer meat. Yes, you heard me correct.  Deer meat.  Now you can try it with different meat but to be honest, it is not as good.  So, if you have an aversion to deer meat, get over it and try this recipe.  It simply is divinely deerlicious.  



We are lucky because Scott normally kills a few deer each season.  I make sure he grinds me some so I can make this recipe.  I am a bit protective of my ground venison and really do not want it used for anything but these little meatloaf gems.

Believe it or not, this recipe is pretty healthy for you too.  Deer meat is much more heart-friendly than beef.  But it does not stop there in this recipe you also use carrots, red bell pepper, and onion.

The first thing you need to do when making the recipe is to take out 2 pieces of whole wheat bread and allow it to dry or you can toast it.  


Roughly chop the carrots, red bell pepper, and onion. 


Add to a food processor and chop finely.
  


Put the ground venison/deer into a bowl.


Add the vegetable mixture to the bowl of ground venison/deer.


Once the bread is dry you can put it into the food processor and chop it finely.  Then add it to the meatloaf mixture.


Toss in an egg and add ketchup, mustard, and bbq sauce.


I use my KitchenAid stand up mixer to make my meatloaf but you can use a spoon or your hands.  Just make sure everything is incorporated well.



You will need a 12 cup standard muffin pan.  I have silicone liners that I put into my pan and spray oil on to the cups and the top of the pan.  You need to coat the pan top because of how messy the pan will turn out.  It makes it easier to clean later.  


Once your pan, form balls with the meatloaf mixture.  You do not have to pat them.  Just put them in like balls and it will cook just fine.  


While they are cooking make your top sauce.  It is really simple.  Ketchup, mustard and bbq sauce again.


Mix it up really well.


When your meatloaves are done and have a nice crust on top take them out and add the sauce on top.  Put them back into the oven for about 5 to 10 more minutes.  If you put the sauce on first before cooking it will burn so make sure you do this after they are cooked.  



My daughter loves these.  She had forgotten they were made with deer meat.  My son likes them, their half-sister likes them.  

Scott took 4 to work yesterday as part of his lunch and some of the girls at work came to him and wanted to know what he was eating.  He shared with two of the employees and they wanted the recipe.  That is why this is going up on my blog before the zucchini chips and pesto.  

I want to note that these do not turn out well if you make them into a large meatloaf.  Or they do not with the venison ground (deer) meat.  Yes, I made that mistake once.  I am sure if you used ground beef like an 85/15 percent they would be delicious when making a large meatloaf.

This is a great way to get kids to eat more vegetables.  

DEERLICIOUS MINI MEATLOAVES

Ingredients
  • 1.75 lbs of ground deer meat (venison)
  • 2 pieces of whole wheat bread dried and ground fine
  • 10 to 12 baby carrots
  • 3/4 of red bell pepper.  You can use orange or yellow or even green.
  • 1/2 of a yellow onion 
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 1/2 t mustard
  • 3 T bbq sauce
  • 1 t garlic powder
To make the sauce topping
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1 1/2 T bbq sauce
  • 1 t mustard
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  I use silicone muffin liners and line my 12 cup standard muffin pan and spray with canola or olive oil. Make sure to spray the top of your muffin pan.  This makes for easier clean up later.
  • Dry the pieces of bread or toast them and place into a food processor and pulse until they are pretty fine.  
  • Next gather your carrots, onion and bell pepper, give them a rough chop then place them into the food processor and pulse until the vegetables are fine.  
  • Add your ground venison/deer meat to a bowl, along with the vegetable mixture, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, and garlic powder.  I use my KitchenAid Stand up mixer but you can do this by hand.
  • Divide the meat mixture into 12 balls and place them into the silicone muffin liner.  You do not have to have silicone liners.  You do not have to use any liners.
  • Place in the oven and cook for 35 to 45 minutes.
  • While they are cooking add the 3 ingredients for the meatloaf sauce topping and combine well.  
  • Once meatloaves are done cooking.  Take them out and drain as much grease off as you can. Brush on the sauce topping and place back into the oven for 5 to 15 minutes.  Cook them to how you like them to look.  
You do not need a food processor you can chop everything by hand but if you have one it makes the work easier.  

I am really wanting to try this with elk or bison meat.  I know that will be delicious too.  

I do have to apologize for not having a better-finished picture for you to see.  This is a testimony to how delicious they are.  I forgot to take a plated picture.

They are under 100 calories a piece too!!  

ENJOY!!!!! 

If you try this recipe please follow me and subscribe.  I would love for you to come back and comment as well and maybe post a picture.  



 
















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS