DELICIOUS AND NUTRITIOUS HIBISCUS TEA


I have to admit I have had dried hibiscus flowers for like over 2 years now and just never made it into tea.  Last week my husband can home and was telling me about some tea he had at a Mexican restaurant that day.  He explained to me that it was hibiscus tea.  I told him that I had dried hibiscus flowers in the cabinet and could make him some.  


That very night I threw some dried flowers in some water and boiled them then allowed them to steep overnight.  The next day, I strained out the flowers and poured the tea into a pitcher.  If you know me, I hate to waste stuff so I then put the flowers back in my pot and added some more water.  Brought it to a boil and allowed it to steep all day.  About 8 hours later I added it to the other tea and put around 1/4 cup of agave syrup in the pitcher.  


Hibiscus tea reminds me of cranberry juice.  It is nice and tart with a delicate flowery sweet flavor.  

If you prefer to have a calorie-free drink do not add any sugar or syrups.   I personally like a hint of sweetness so light agave syrup is perfect for me. 

It is caffeine-free.  

What is even better is the fact it is packed with good health benefits.
  • It is packed full of antioxidants.
  • They say it could reduce your sugar level which is great for a diabetic. 
  • Also may lower your blood pressure.
  • It may also reduce blood fats which is another concern of heart disease.
  • Could promote weight loss.
  • It helps fight bacteria.
  • Could help fight cancer.
There are plenty of recipes out there here is how I made mine.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup dried food-grade hibiscus flowers
  • 8 cups of water
Directions
  • Put water in a pot.  Add the dried hibiscus flowers.  
  • Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
  • Cover and allow to steep for at least an hour.
  • Pour into a pitcher and sweeten if desired.

I chose to allow mine to steep overnight so I would not have to use as many flowers.  I wanted to conserve my flowers so I have plenty for later.  If you wish to have this to drink a bit quicker I would advise to add more dried flowers and less water.  Like 1 cup of dried flowers and 6 cups of water.  My tea was strong and delightful.  


You can add whatever you wish to sweeten it with.  Honey would be wonderful in it but I am a honey snob and do not have my favorite honey available that is why I used the light agave.  

I have heard people will also use some lime or orange juice or slices in their hibiscus tea.  I have not done this.  

I hope you will make this recipe and as always remember to make it per your taste.  You can play with the recipe.

ENJOY!!






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS