THINGS TO COME

As I have said life some way got crazy busy on me.  I have no clue how that happens.  

I have been busy in the kitchen and have so much to share.  Now if I can just find the time to do so.  

With summer here and the gardens starting to come in and flourish we have been busy in this household.  I was able to pick some squash and cucumbers and even beans.  Have a new, not new, squash recipe to share.  I have made this dish a dozen times but for some unknown reason, I have not posted it on here.  It is absolutely divine.  

Have been busy with 3 new jam recipes.  All three came from ones online but I tweaked them into something I wanted.  One will be called Hillbilly Booze Berry Jam.  The other two are watermelon jam and cantaloupe jam. Scott and I tried cantaloupe jam several years ago at the Piedmont Farmer's Market.  A lady was selling several of her homemade canned goodies and this one was available for a taste.  It was extremely good.  She went on to say her granddaughter had made it.  Which was totally impressive considering her granddaughter was not in her teens yet.  As for the watermelon jam it has been on my mind but never had the time.  I am always busy with our gardens.  The asparagus normally starts first.  Strawberries next, Blueberries, raspberries, and then blackberries.  While that is going on normally the garden is just starting to produce.  So pretty much I am busy in the gardens and kitchen from March till October.  That is 8 months out of the year I am blessed to be able to have stuff to put up and honestly play around and have fun in my kitchen.  

Hillbilly Booze Berry Jam is a nice little interesting take on something called Kentucky Bar Fight.  I think Kentucky is due to the Kentucky Bourbon you use in the jam. Well knowing me I had to change it all around.  I used every type of berry we grow and some of our hot peppers too.  If you know us we DO like it hot. 

The cantaloupe jam is pretty good.  Honestly not sure I am sold 100% on it.  Scott could taste the cantaloupe I could not. All I tasted was the honey I used.  

Now the watermelon jam.  WOW just WOW.  It exceeded my expectations and then some.  My daughter who is a big fan of my strawberry jam says not this is her new favorite.  

I have to give a huge SHOUT out to the Gastonia Farmer's Market.  I found my Athena cantaloupe and my watermelon there.  I normally go to the Piedmont Farner's Market because it is close by but I was in the area of Gastonia and dropped by.  It is such a nice little Market.  It gave me the feeling of homegrown not mass-produced.  It is small but has room for expansion.  Everyone was so friendly and nice.  I can not wait to go back.  There is a man there on Thursdays this month that has homemade rubs, sauces, and spices.  He was very knowledgeable and I wish I could remember his name.  So, if you are in the area it is worth the stop.  

I have so much to post I am at a loss right now to tell you what all is to come.  I will try not to forget anything in the list below. 

Peach Jelly
Peach Butter
Bourbon Peaches
Canned Peaches
Hillbilly Booze Berry Jam
Watermelon Jam
Cantaloupe Jam
How to Can Green Beans
Cheesy Squash Bake
Updating Southern Smothered Squash 
Elderberry Jam
Rose Pepper Jelly
Blueberry Pie Filling

As one of my favorite Youtuber Chef John says, As always enjoy!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS