AIR FRIED CHICKPEAS



Several years ago Scott and I made some of these crunchy little chickpeas and really enjoyed them.  I had read about them and thought we love chickpeas and I have some canned in the basement, lets give it a try.  This was before anyone had ever heard of an air fryer.  The first ones we had to do in the oven but now that I have my air fried I love to use it for lots of stuff.  


This is a really good and nutritious recipe.  It is a nice snack to have when you need something crunchy.  Chickpeas are a legume that is high in fiber which if you eat too much can cause a bit of stomach issues. So while they are really good I would not sit down and eat more than a nice handful.  They are low in fat and have a decent amount of protein which makes them a great snack.  I love to toss them in a salad.  It is a great alternative to croutons.  


Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same.  The difference is the word Chickpea is from the Latin word cicer which refers to the plant family legumes.  While Garbanzo is a Spanish devived name for this legume. 


The fun thing about this snack is you can literally season the legume with anything you like.  We have used homemade sriracha, Italian seasonings, and cajun seasonings.  You really can not go wrong.   


You need to drain your chickpeas very well.  Toss them in a small amount of olive oil and toss in the dry seasoning of your choice.  Remember you will need some salt but this can be done at the end.  



I preheat my air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes then spray the pan with some olive oil.  Add a single layer of chickpeas and air fry for around 10 minutes.  I strongly advise you to check them around 5 minutes and give them a nice toss. Like ovens, air fryers cook a bit differently so while mine are done in 10 minutes yours might take a few minutes less or more.  


AIR FRIED CHICKPEAS

Ingredients

  • 32 ounces chickpeas drained
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil divided
  • Dry seasoning of your choice
  • salt to taste
Directions
  • Preheat air fryer 390 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes
  • Rinse and drain your chickpeas
  • Toss drained chickpeas into a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and dry seasoning
  • Spray the air fryer pan with oil and place a single layer of chickpeas into the pan
  • Cook for 5 minutes and give them a toss.  Cook an additional 3 to 7 minutes depending on your air fryer.  
  • Pour back into a bowl add the remaining olive oil and add salt or any other seasoning you wish at this time

Seriously you can add any type of seasoning you wish.  I have learned that you really need to add some type of seasoning with the olive oil before cooking.  Then again afterward.  I find the salt tends to stay on better if you wait until after you have cooked them.  

If I am using sriracha I add that prior to cooking.  Do not use a lot because you do not want the chickpeas to be too wet when going into your air fryer.  If they are too wet they will not turn out crunchy and you may burn them attempting to get them crunchy. 

Now you can buy these in the store but I like making my own.  I know more of what ingredients are in them this way.  

ENJOY!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS