DELICIOUS VENISON NECK ROAST



 If you know anything about North Carolina, you know our weather is very unpredictable.  We can go from 70 to 30 in just a few hours.  As matter of a fact, this happened a couple of weeks ago and we got some snow which lasted until the sun came out around noon.  Yep, that is how it rolls here.

Scott and I both enjoy the outdoors.  We enjoy fishing and hunting.  It is so rewarding to be able to provide for yourself with things you are able to hunt, forage or grow.  By the way, I will be starting my pepper seeds this weekend.  

This weekend they are calling for a storm to hit us sometime Saturday night and go into Sunday.  If the cards stack just right we might have a fair amount of snow that will last more than a few hours. 

As I was sitting here thinking about the cold weather we have been having it made me want something warm and filling in our tummies.  During cold spells, I normally crave soup and make all kinds to keep my body and soul warm but for some reason, I wanted something more filling.  I did not want a thin soup.  I wanted something warm, rich, thick, filling, and downright delicious.

With a neck roast, you need to cook it nice and slow due to it being a tough cut of meat.  So I opted for making it similar to how I make Venison Osso  Bucco.  Of course, me being me, I switched it up to some degree.  I wanted to start it like I do my Osso Bucco but add potatoes which I do not do in Osso Bucco.  I also did not have any wine to add to my pot. 

It's this a nice-looking roast?

I browned it on all sides.


Cut up my veggies.  Which are carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, and potatoes.  Diced some garlic. And went to my herb garden and cut some rosemary and sage.  I find it funny that even in the cold of winter here my herb garden still seems to thrive.  

Added everything into my French oven.  It is similar to a Dutch oven.  The difference is the shape.  Dutch is round and a French oven is oval.  





Added some home-canned tomatoes and one quart of venison broth I canned in 2018!!!  And bam I put it in the oven.  Like I mentioned before a neck roast can be tough so you need to go low and slow.  


I wound up adding wine the next day when I took the roast out and de-boned it.  I cut the meat against the grain so it would not be stringy.  


I currently have the venison bone in my instant pot making venison stock.  I love zero waste!!!  Plus I am able to make back the stock I used.  Love when I can do stuff like this.

I really do not have a recipe but here is what I did.  I used a deer neck roast that was able 3 pounds.  Browned this on all sides.  While it browned I cut my vegetables.  I cut 2 medium onions, 4 large carrots, 4 medium-sized potatoes, a small can of mushrooms that I had canned.  I also diced about 8 cloves of garlic.  Added this into my pot.  I used 3 springs of fresh rosemary and about 6 sage leaves.  Next came a quart of tomatoes with the juice and a quart of venison broth.  I turned my oven on 300 and added the cover to my pot and put it in the oven.  I did not preheat my oven.  I did this out of necessity because I had to meet my mom and she was a bit earlier than I expected.  I allowed this to cook at 300 degrees for 2 hours.  I then lowered my temperature to 250 and allowed it to cook for an additional 3 hours.

I had a small bowl and then put the pot in the garage fridge.  The next day I took the bone out of the roast and chose to cut it against the grain just so the meat would hold together better and not become too stringy in the stew.  I added a cup of red wine and put it on my stovetop to warm.  I also added a bit of salt.  

You really can not go wrong when making a roast.  Make it to your taste.  Add what you want.  Do not want tomatoes Do not add them.  Want more carrots, add them.  Do not drink, do not add the wine.  I just like the flavor that the wine gives deer meat.  You could even toss some thyme in if you want.  Remember though when you are working with a tougher cut of meat that it is in your taste bud's interest to cook it low and slow.  This helps the meat to break down.  I prefer to do this in the oven but you can also do it in a slow cooker/crockpot.

ENJOY!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS