MY TAKE ON DIPPING OIL FOR BREAD

I love good sourdough bread.  I make a few loaves a week with my potato starter.  I have almost stopped purchasing bread at the store now.  No need to do so when I can make my own bread which is so much better than store-bought chemical-filled stuff.  

A few years ago I had my potato starter and my flour starter going great.  Then tragedy struck.  Well not really, I just stopped making bread for about 6 months and when I came back to it I had to start fresh with new starters.  Unfortunately, my flour (San Francisco style) just kept molding and I could never get it right or going again.  I did everything to make sure my container was clean.  Even washed the jar in the dishwashing which should have ensured everything was sanitized.  Oh well, it is what it is, right?  Fast forward to last week.  Scott and I were hanging out at our friend's house by his pool enjoying some good conversation.  The deal was we were to come over and help pick grapes and in return, Wade would cook some pizzas on the Big Green Egg.  Wade has always had great luck with his sourdough flour starter. Although I did not help pick grapes, he still let me have some of his starter.  Thank you Wade!!!  I have to say he makes some darn good pizzas.  I remember once we put smoked fish and quail eggs on a pizza.  That one was years ago.  

The flour starter makes a good crusty style of bread.  You can make so many styles of bread with this type of starter.  I love to make baguettes, focaccia, or just a crusty round loaf.  

I have been feeding it for about a week now and just have not had the time to do a loaf of bread yet.  I have been keeping my discard in another jar in the fridge waiting to have enough to do something with it.  Finally today I noticed I had enough to make something from the discard.  Since I was not in the mood for pancakes, I decided to make focaccia.  I have to admit I was a bit nervous since I have not made any in years.  As I was cooking my focaccia I decided I had (yes has) to have some dipping oil. I mean how can you eat focaccia without a good dipping oil?  Oh I know you can but why would you?  Seriously?  Dipping oil is so good for your warm delicious bread.  

It is funny dipping oil is so easy to make but yet many people do not think about making it.  They think it is just something you get served with your bread at an Italian restaurant.  The one I make is more of Mediterranean-style dipping oil. I personally do not measure the ingredients so I am going to be guessing how much I use of each.  For my recipe, you will need, pepper flakes, coarse sea salt, garlic (either fresh minced or powder), dried oregano, dried basil, dried parsley, and extra virgin olive oil.  

Honestly, all you do is toss the ingredients in a small bowl and add the oil.  It is better to let it sit for a while before enjoying it with a slice of bread.  Letting it sit just gives the spices time to infuse your oil.


DIPPING OIL 

Ingredients

1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon of minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

1 teaspoon of coarse kosher salt

1 teaspoon each of dried oregano, dried basil, and dried parsley

1/2 to 3/4 cup of EVOO

Directions

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl then add your EVOO.  Allow sitting for at least 30 minutes.  

Serve with your favorite bread.  

It is so good to take a piece of warm bread and dip it down deep in the bowl of dipping oil.  This allows you to get into the salt and ensures you get a bit of each ingredient on your bread.  

Happy Labor Day!!!! Enjoy!!

Footnote: Wade has gotten us into all kinds of fun stuff.  The first was winemaking. Then the Big Green Egg of his had to stay at our house for a few months or so.  He was kind enough to allow us to use it which made sure we were addicted and had to get our own.  Of course, the quail came through him as well.  I am sure there is much more but I can not think about it right now.  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS