QUICK AND EASY SOURDOUGH FOCACCIA


UPDATED  will get pictures up soon.

Oh my goodness, focaccia is so very good.  Hot right out of the oven with a nice EVOO dipping sauce and this is one of my favorite recipes to make with my discarded sourdough.  There are tons of awesome discard recipes.  I mean who likes to waste sourdough?  I do not!!! 

It is so easy and overall a quick and simple bread to make.  You can top it with almost anything.  My normal toppings are course kosher salt, homemade tomato powder, fresh rosemary from my herb garden, garlic powder, and olive oil.


QUICK AND EASY SOURDOUGH FOCACCIA

1-3/4 cup bread flour

1 cup unbleached flour

2 tsp kosher salt

1 teaspoon quick yeast

1-1/4 cup warm distilled water

2/3 cup discard sourdough starter


DIRECTIONS

Add the discarded sourdough starter to the distilled water in a bowl.  Mix together.  Add salt, quick yeast, and both flours to the wet ingredients in the bowl.  I do not knead this recipe by hand or with my stand-up mixer.  I just use my spatula to incorporate the dough.  It is supposed to be sticky.  Cover with a tea cloth and place in a warm spot to rise.  Once it has doubled in size, divide the dough evenly and place it into a 9-inch round cake plate. Cover again and allow to rise.  This step normally happens quickly so keep a close eye on it.  Once it has risen almost to the top of the cake plate use your fingers to put dimples in the dough.  Add olive oil and whatever toppings you wish to add.  Cook in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Keep in mind ovens cook differently so while mine maybe be finished in 15 minutes yours might take longer.

You can use an active starter and omit the yeast.  You can also use a rectangular pan and only make one.  I normally make 2 and gift one to one of my neighbors.  When we lived in Winston Salem, Melissa and Scott normally wound up with one.  Now it is Gail or Brian that gets the second one.  As matter of a fact, Scott took one down to Brian earlier this week and he was so happy because he had no clue what they were going to eat for dinner.  Do I suggest this being dinner, no but I have done it many times.

Honestly, the toppings do not matter.  You can keep it savory or make it sweet.  I have used caramelized onions, fresh roasted garlic, an assortment of olives, fresh grape tomatoes, and sundried tomatoes.  You can add freshly shaved parmesan cheese.  I have used fig jam and got cheese as well.  The possibilities are endless.

I have another focaccia recipe on here but this one is just so quick and easy that it has become my go-to for focaccia.  

I keep on forgetting to add pictures.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS