It's March so how about some Basil Simple Syrup?

I can hardly believe it is already March. We woke yesterday to howling winds, like something out of a scary movie.  With the wind roaring it made me think of the saying, in like a lion out like a lamb. One thing is for certain March has started like a Lion.  It also reminded me of Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day. Today is a very windy day.  I love Winne the Pooh.  Windsday.... Although today is not Wednesday it Windsday.  

As spring approaches I start to make plans for my beautiful garden, what we are going to grow and start my seeds.  I enjoy both my gardens but my herb garden is such fun. I love fresh herbs and one of my favorites is basil.  Do you like Basil?  I really did not know a lot about fresh basil until a few years back.  Basil is incredibly healthy for you.  Here is a great link Heath benefits of basil.  With all that said I enjoy making basil simple syrup in the spring and summer.  Who am I kidding, I love it at any time of the year.  I normally make it with basil fresh from my herb garden.  



First, you need fresh basil. 
 Since I made this syrup in March I did not have access to basil from my garden.


 I was making quite a bit so I used 2 cups of water


One cup of sugar



Add the water, sugar, and basil to a pot and bring to a boil.
Let it steep for few hours before straining the basil out.
Or if you like stronger basil syrup leave the leaves in your container.
You will need to refrigerate your syrup once done.
  
There are many uses for basil simple syrup.  


You can sweeten your tea or water, make popsicles, or pour it over fruit.

One of my favorite ways is to make a martini, balsamic basil strawberry martini.


As always enjoy and please subscribe and follow us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS