HOW TO MAKE A WHOLE CHICKEN IN YOUR INSTANT POT


I have to admit the first time I made this recipe, I found my chicken on sale and I also wanted to make it so I could make more bone broth.  I was almost out and needed more for a recipe I was going to make later that weekend.  

This is supposed to be similar to rotisserie chicken but made in the Instant Pot. It is very simple to make and as easy as pie to cook.  

 I want to discuss the pros and cons of this recipe so everyone will be well aware if they chose to make this recipe.  

Pros
  • Easy
  • Nice flavor
  • Quick to fix
  • Extremely tender
  • Spice it up as you wish with any seasonings
Cons
  • Skin is not crispy
  • It really does not taste like a rotisserie chicken

Well, once I actually put that in writing I realized the pros DO outweigh the cons.  While the recipe is so quick and simple making it easy to have a home-cooked meal on the table fast, I felt it was lacking something.  I have made this recipe several times, each time working with the spice mix I applied to the chicken.  So, I love the fact you can put just about any type of spice on your chicken and it will turn out good.  However, I prefer a crispy chicken and you just cannot achieve it with this recipe.  I tried browning it on saute mode prior to cooking it on both sides and also tried putting it under the broiler after cooking it in the Instant Pot.  Maybe I am doing it all wrong but I have yet to achieve the crispy skin chicken we love.  Do not get me wrong I still enjoy this recipe and will make it again but I prefer my Pampered Chef Clay Oven recipe better.  If you have a clay baker oven let me know and I will be glad to share that recipe in the future.  

Rotisserie Chicken

Ingredients
  • One 3 to 4lb Whole Chicken
  • 6 to 8 garlic cloves - optional
  • 2 Rosemary sprigs - optional
  • Montreal Chicken Seasoning or spice mix you would like
  • Paprika
  • Garlic salt
  • Spray Olive Oi
  • 1 Lemon - quartered
  • 1 to 2 Onions - quartered
  • 1 C Water or broth
Directions
  • Cut your IP on saute mode to allow to heat
  • Wash and dry your chicken, making sure it is totally dry
  • Slide your garlic cloves under the chicken skin on the breast side
  • Spray chicken with olive oil all over
  • Sprinkle Montreal chicken seasoning, paprika and garlic salt all over the chicken or spices of your choice
  • Saute your chicken on both sides until browned
  • Take chicken out and add lemon and onion quarters to the cavity of the chicken along with the rosemary sprigs
  • Add 1 C of either water or broth to the inner pot, place trivet into the inner pot
  • Put the chicken on the trivet
  • Close and seal the pressure cooker
  • Cook on manual for 25 minutes for a 3lb chicken, for each additional pound, add 5 to 6 minutes
  • Once it is finished and you heard the beep allow it to naturally release for 25 to 30 minutes, then if you need to do a quick release
Please remember to save your bones to make bone broth.  If you do not plan on making broth soon just freeze your bones.  

Enjoy!!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS