PICO DE GALLO ~ THIS IS WHAT I DID WITH A FEW EXTRA TOMATOES



During the Applepolozza experience, I accidentally purchased too many Roma tomatoes for the Apple Salsa .  That was almost a week ago and they were starting to get riper then I need them too.  You guys know me, my frugal heart hates to waste stuff. I really am not too big on store-bought tomatoes but what do you do when that is your only option because it is only April?

We are having some friends, Wade, Cheryl, and Lawrence, over tonight for smoking pizzas on the Big Green Egg.  Jeremy might come too, he loves the pizzas on the BGG. I thought why not make Pico De Gallo for an appetizer.  We need something to munch on as we wait, right?

Pico is so simple to make.  I did not care to run to the grocery store because they are doing road work near my house and it takes quite a while to get through.  I do not have the patience today to wait in traffic when I do not have to do so.  That is why I am using the frozen jalapenos instead of fresh.  I normally would use fresh ones.

All you need is tomatoes, an onion, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice, salt and a bit of time in the fridge.  Big check, I had all the ingredients and the time.  Yeppie.  Well, my jalapenos had been chopped and frozen but what does a girl do?  Well, I chopped up some stuff and made pico, that is what this girl does.

First, chop 4 to 8 plum or roma tomatoes.




Chop your onion pretty fine.



Take a hand full of cilantro and mince away.



Chop up the jalapenos or in my case thaw them.



Pour 2 Tablespoons of lime juice in the bowl.

I sprinkled garlic salt instead of kosher salt for a garlic taste.

PICO DE GALLO 

Ingredients
  • 4 to 8 plum or roma tomatoes- chopped
  • 1 small onion- minced
  • 1/2 C cilantro- minced
  • 2 to 3 jalapenos chopped
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • Kosher Salt to taste
Directions
  • Chop your tomatoes and jalapenos.
  • Mince the onion and cilantro.
  • Pour in 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
  • Salt to taste.

This is a quick and easy dish to prepare.  You do not have to use it as a dip either.  It is wonderful on chicken.  

Again I used garlic salt because I like garlic and wanted a bit of the flavor but not overwhelming.  That is totally optional but salt does help the taste.  You need to put it in the fridge for a few hours before serving.  

My work day is done and it is Friday.  Horray it is the weekend.  Going pour myself a glass of wine and ENJOY!!




Comments

  1. What about guacamole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you sure can use it in guacamole. I have even used salsa in it when I have not had fresh ingredients. Great point Pam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS