FLORAL ROSE PETAL JELLY



I am still over the moon with my stash of rose petals.  They make me so happy.  I know that sounds silly but I have seriously been wanting to make rose jelly for a long time now.  I think my timing is perfect too because it is Mother's Day.  What a great idea for Mother's Day.  Instead of roses give her rose jelly.  




While my mom and I were picking them she was talking about how pretty they are and how a bride would love to have them for her wedding.  A sweet little flower girl tossing them down the aisle.  What a lovely thought.  

I made rosewater on Friday and I love putting it on my face.  I have it in the fridge and it feels so good to apply it cold.  I know I have only used it for 2 days but I swear I can tell a difference in my skin.  It is not nearly as dry as it has been.  

There's so much I am looking forward to making with the rest of my petals.  I really can not wait to make rose syrup and then rose ice cream.  It is so hot outside I believe the ice cream will taste really good.  I guess I am finally going to break out my ice cream maker I bought a couple of years ago. 

The whole reason I wanted the rose petals was to make rose jelly.  Its a labor of love to make because it is very time-consuming.  I looked at a lot of recipes and finally decided on one that is loosely based on one that is made by Venetian monks on the island of San Lazzaro.  I did tweak it a bit because rose jelly is normally more of a thick syrup and I wanted mine to be more of a jelly.  

Start with 4 cups of organic rose petal and wash them.




As you squeeze out and drain the water look the petals for dirt and bugs.  You only want the petals so make sure you have no buds.





Place the petals in a bowl and add 2 cups of sugar and the juice of 2 lemons.  You will gently massage the sugar and lemon juice into the petals until it gets the consistency of paste.  The sugar and lemon juice really bring out the aroma and flavor.  You will not believe how good your hands will smell too. As you are doing this continue to pick out any dirt or bugs.  I allowed mine to sit on the counter for about an hour.  




While the petals sit mix together 4 cups sugar and 6 cups water and bring to boil.  




Add your petal mixture to the sugar and water.  Bring back to boil and continue until the syrup thickens and the petals are no longer floating. Add a box of powdered pectin and allow it to come back to a rolling boil. Mine took an hour but I did not cook it on a real high heat.  They say overcooking will darken the jelly but I like the color of my jelly.    




I water bath canned my jelly for 10 minutes.  

ROSE PETAL JELLY

Ingredients
  • 4 Cups rose petals
  • Water to cover petals
  • 2 Cups sugar
  • Juice to 2 lemons
  • 4 more Cups of sugar
  • 6 Cups of water
  • 1 box of powdered pectin
Directions
  • Place rose petals in a bowl and add water to cover.  Gently wash your petals.
  • Squeeze out as much water as you can and strain out the rose petals.
  • Put petals into a bowl and add 2 cups of sugar and the lemon juice.
  • Massage the sugar and lemon juice into your petals.  You want your petals to wilt and almost turn into a paste consistency.
  • Allow sitting for 30 minutes.
  • Add 6 cups of water and 4 cups of sugar into a pot and bring to a boil.
  • Once the water is boiling add your petal mixture and bring to boil.
  • Boil until the mix is at a rolling boil. Add the box of pectin and bring back to a rolling boil.
  • Place jelly into sterilized jelly jars and water bath can for 10 minutes.
Remember this is not going to hard set even with the pectin but using the pectin allows it to become thicker. 

We tried it this morning.  I like it but it is different.  Scott said he would never have guessed it was rose jelly.  My friend  Michelle liked it and her wording was interesting.  However, I love to make different types of jelly and jams.  I even have made an Earl Gray Jelly.  My grandson had a peanut butter and rose jelly sandwich and he loved it. 

Happy Mother's Day.

ENJOY!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS