HOT ONION RELISH




Onions, Onions, Onions and more ONIONS!! A few months ago we were gifted tons of onions, well maybe not tons but about 80 pounds of them.  Geesh, I am just getting around to really working on them.  I made stout beer pickled onions yesterday which got me going.  

I have been tinkering with the thought of an onion relish recipe since we received all those onions.  I looked and looked and researched and did more research to come up with a recipe I thought might be good.  Since it is a canning recipe I really will not know if it is just OK or really really delicious for a few weeks.

The recipe I decided on calls for 5lbs of onions.  Boy did that scare me.  Who wants to peel, slice and dice 5 pounds of onions?  Just the thought of that was a bit scary or should I say teary?  When canning, I normally like to hand chop but there was no way in this life was I gonna do this by hand.  Just the thought had me in tears.  That is why I used my handy dandy food processor.  Got that baby out and let it do its magic.

Chop 5lbs of onions.



...Add 1/4 cup of salt to the onions and allow to sit one hour.



... Drain the onions and put into a large saucepan.



... Add apple cider vinegar.



... 1 cup of sugar.



... Tablespoon of ground turmeric.


... 6 ounces of diced pimentos.


... a tablespoon of mustard seeds.




... a tablespoon of ground pepper.




... a couple tablespoons of red pepper flakes.



... mix all together and bring to boil.  Cook until the onions are transparent.  



... Ladle into pint jars.


... water bath can for 20 minutes.


HOT ONION RELISH 

Ingredients
  • 5 lbs of onions
  • 1/4 C of salt
  • 1 C apple cider vinegar
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 tbsp ground turmeric 
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
  • 6 oz diced pimentos
  • 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
Directions
  • Chop onions either by hand or with a food processor.  
  • Add salt to the onions to allow them to sweat for an hour.
  • Drain onions well.
  • Add onions and all other ingredients into a large saucepan.  
  • Bring to boil then reduce to heat to a simmer cooking until the onions are translucent.  
  • Pour onion relish into sterilized jars, add lids and rings.
  • Water bath can half pints for 15 minutes and pints for 20 minutes

With summer approaching there will be lots of cookouts.  Why not open a jar of onion relish for your hot dogs, brats, or hamburgers.  Ooooh I think the relish would be awesome on some beans with some corn bread.  

It is the weekend, ENJOY!!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS