AWESOME PICKLED SUMMER SQUASH


I found this recipe years ago and have been making it ever since with the abundance of our yellow squash each summer.  I can not remember where I found the recipe but it was online.  I have adapted it because I felt the vinegar was too overpowering.  

As you guys know I love summer type salads.  I can make a serious meal out of a few salads.  As I did last night, all I had for dinner was smoked turkey salad, bean salad, and Greek salad.  Nothing quite like a cold salad to cool you down from the brutal heat outside.  

There is a heatwave hitting some states this weekend so why not make some type of refrigerator salad?  You could make pasta saladcorn salad, cucumber salad or this, summer squash salad.

I remember the first time I made it.  As usual, I made it the day before serving.  A bunch of us were invited to a friend's house for lunch and I had this made so I took it there for people to enjoy.  Everyone loved it.  Nice, score another HIT.



Slice your summer squash



Slice a small onion very thin.



Chop a 1/4 of a red pepper.



Make the brine.



Once the brine has cooled, put everything into a container and give it a good shake.



PICKLED SUMMER SQUASH

Ingredients
  • 6 yellow squash
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/4 red pepper
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 cup sugar
Directions
  • Slice squash and onions very thin.
  • Dice red pepper.
  • Add all to a container.
  • Put water, apple cider vinegar, ground mustard, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Once the brine is cool add to your vegetable mixture.
  • Refrigerate at least 24 hours.
The longer this sits in the fridge the better it gets.  I always look forward to fresh squash from our garden so I can make this dish.  

ENJOY!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS