DELICIOUS KIND OF GREEK SALAD


Friday, Scott called me and asked me to get a turkey out of the freezer and put it in a pot with water so it could thaw because he wanted to smoke it on Saturday.  He loves to use his big green egg on the weekends and have friends over. Plus, Scott is so good at smoking about anything he puts on his egg.  It comes out finger licking good.  We invited friends over and I made the bean salad, cut up some golden honeydew melon, and made the adult boozy ice pops.  

Saturday while we were sitting out on the back deck Anna mentioned a salad she makes and pulled it up on Pinterest.  I did not get the recipe per say but I did see what veggies were in the salad.  As we were sitting there talking Sophie said it really sounds like a Greek salad.  While I agree, for the record in case another Greek read this I will state it does not include lettuce or feta, however, I believe if you wanted to use this as a base for a Greek salad it would be delicious.  

Here is my beautiful friend Sophia.


I did a little research and came up with a recipe of my version of what Anna makes.  Again another easy recipe and since it is served cold it should be included as an appetizing summer salad on any sizzling hot day.  Or for that matter any day at all.   I have to admit since my garden is not producing cucumbers or tomatoes yet this salad consists of store-bought vegetables.  I think it is good now but I can not imagine how delectable it will be when I have fresh organic veggies from my own garden. 

You really do not need a lot of ingredients.  Vinegar, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, onions, cucumbers, and cucumbers.


When I started to put this together I decided to make a switch in the vinegar I was going to use because I do believe, per Sophie, a Greek salad uses red wine vinegar not white vinegar and I decided to add garlic.  You can not go wrong with garlic.  I love the stuff, plus, it is extremely good for you.



For my herbs, I used fresh from my herb garden, parsley, Greek oregano, and thyme.  Yeah, that is not really per say in a Greek salad but I knew it would give the vegetables a really nice flavor. 



Mince them up with a knife.



Slice your tomatoes



...cucumbers, since I wanted them pretty I used my chopper with a pretty edge.



...slice your onion 



Add everything together



...and mix



Now doesn't that look tasty?  

"GREEK SALAD"

Ingredients
  • 4 pickling cucumbers- sliced
  • 4 Roma tomatoes - sliced
  •  1 large onion - sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic - minced
  • 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 4 oz extra vinegar olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
  • 1 sprig of Greek oregano - minced
  • 4 sprigs of thyme - minced
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt 
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions
  • Slice your tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions 
  • Mince garlic, parsley, oregano, and thyme
  • Put all in a bowl and add red wine vinegar, evoo, salt, and pepper and combine well
  • Refrigerator for at least 2 hours 

I have to be honest, I took a bite as soon as I made this and it was to die for, then.  I can not wait till later to try it again.  I know it will only be better.  

Also, an easy way to mix this all together is by putting it in the bowl you plan on using to keep it in and place the lid on top.  Make sure the lid is sealed and just shake it up.  I do this because everything blends together better than using a spoon.  I also do this everything I serve any salad. 

I think this is really good as is but if you wanted to use it as a base for a salad, just add some romaine lettuce, feta, and maybe some good kalamata olives.  Either way, you can not go wrong in making this salad.  

Happy Tuesday Peeps, ENJOY!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS