EASY OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN IN A CLAY OVEN



Yesterday I made a delicious looking chicken for a friend.  I had forgotten how much I love this chicken recipe.  I use to make it all the time for my kids when they were growing up.  Thank goodness my friend's enjoyed it.  However, Scott was jealous so today I am making another one for our dinner.

A clay roaster/baker is wonderful to cook in.  Clay is porous therefore the heat and moisture circulate throughout.  You will never have a chicken more moist and juicy in your entire life.  

I always start by allowing my chicken to completely dry.  Once I have it completely dry I season and garlic it up.  I either use roasted garlic or cloves of garlic and put them under the skin.  I love to pour on the spices and some olive oil.  You can use any spices you would like but I normally use Montreal Chicken Seasoning, garlic salt, and pepper.  I just dump some on and then pour on my olive oil.  I use my hands to massage all of this into the skin.  Yeah I know that is a bit messy but it is the best way to make sure all the spices get to every inch of the chicken.  You can always wear gloves.  I just use my clean hands.  

Another good way to ensure you have a moist, tender, and juicy chicken is lemon.  Lemon is such a key to make this happen.  I normally chop it in half and stuff it in the cavity.  I also put an onion in with the lemon.  

After this is all done, I let my chicken come to room temperature.  Giving it time allows the rub to marinate into the meat.  Normally this takes about an hour.  



After the chicken comes to room temperature just put it in the bottom of the baker the put the top on and cook. 




My clay baker came from Pampered Chef about 20 years ago but you can get them about anywhere nowadays.  I have even seen them in thrift stores, so if you do not have one already you can probably find one on the cheap if you just search around a bit.  Mine has been used a lot as you can tell.  

OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN

Ingredients
  • 1- 4 to 5-pound chicken
  • 2 tablespoons Montreal Chicken Seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 lemon 
  • 1 onion
  • 4 small potatoes
  • 6 small cloves garlic 
Directions
  • Wash and pat dry the chicken
  • Apply all the spices and pour olive oil on top then rub into the skin
  • Put lemon into the cavity
  • Allow to come to room temperature takes about an hour
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Cut potatoes in half, skin onion and cut in half
  • Place chicken into the bottom of the clay baker along with vegetables
  • Cover and cook for an hour and half
  • When time is up, take the top off of the baker and cook for additional 8 minutes to crisp skin
  • Allow sitting for at least 15 minutes prior to cutting

You can use all types of vegetables when cooking.  I love carrots and cabbage to go with the onion and potatoes.

Various seasonings:  Greek seasoning, Tony Chachere's Creole, Tony Chachere's spice and herb,  garlic and herb seasoning.  

I love roasted garlic so I normally use it over garlic cloves but in a pinch, I will use plain cloves.  

My rosemary bush died out this winter or I would put a sprig in the cavity with the lemon and onion.  

Looking at the finish chicken you can tell how tender it is because the legs are almost falling off and even the skin was a bit torn.  Yum I can not wait till Scott gets home.

Have a great weekend!

ENJOY!!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS